You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How are your mini splits performing?

All, please excuse my tardiness to the current discussion.

Pam, As stated, if you have basement air and no roof air, then repairing/replacing the basement units will definitely be easier than adding roof air. Simon recently added roof air so Ill let him explain/expand. The gentleman I hired can do a complete install for you or whatever you agree to. I really don't want to speak for him so I'd recommend you calling him to discuss your situation and what he would be willing to do/not do. SIL = Son-in-Law!?!

Steve, Not sure about other manufacturers, but our system has similar static adjustability. 
You are mostly correct about the carpeted central return air plenum. The center section was removed and an insulated wall was built in its place to seal off R2/L2. The ducted unit is mounted butt-up against the midship under stair air return with C-channel mounted to accommodate an air filter. 

Willie, depending on how you place components, its similar but different. I wouldn't say you really gain/loose storage, you just reconfigure it.

A couple of additional overall notes in layman's speak, 
inverter minisplits ramp up to needed output, so old fashion HVAC "sizing" is not nearly as critical as it used to be, so installing bigger is often better.

the sound levels are dramatic: 
SCS running about half steam measures about 75db outside
our minisplit running at full throttle measures 50db

We recently moved from shaded parking to full on blasting sun that bakes the exterior all day. This thermal bake has had a negative impact on interior comfort that I'm working to overcome. To be clear here, we have no problem cooling inside in the mid 60s with 100°+ ambient temps, but am having issue keeping interior in mid 70s after a full day of thermal bake where exterior surface temps are now approaching 140° 
We have no solar or anything else on the roof and I am hoping that a simple roof paint will quell this issue.
Has anyone on here painted their roof? If so what did you use (bus-kote/Henrys?) and do you have any before/after data to share.

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is