You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

question about what temp you need to run engine preheat on series 60

hi all,

i have not been very many places where it is cold.

the last couple of places i have been it has been hard to start the engine. i had to crank it alot to get it started this morning and it was in the high 50's.

at what temp does the engine get "cranky" and need to be preheated?

it seems to be ok once the engine is totally warmed up. i think....

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Based on discussions with other DD owners and my own experience having been in sub freezing temps more than I would prefer you should use your block heater when it gets below 60, and here is my reasoning based on experience, and the advice of others more knowledgeable than I. Every time you have a hard start you take a little time off the life expectancy of your engine.....theoretically. Typically, on a warm day it takes less than 3 seconds for the engine to "fire". On a cold day it may take 15-20 seconds, or longer, to get the engine to fire. When I know I need to use the block heater I turn it on at least 45 minutes to an hour prior to my desired start time. When it is in the 40's, or below and I am moving every day I leave the block heater on all night.....if I am plugged in. I've been down in the high teens with the block heater on all night and it fires up just as if it were 80 degrees outside....2-3 seconds. The theory about hard starts may not be true in the most literal sense, but it makes me feel better when it starts easily, and logically it must be easier on the starter and engine. As Wally often says...."that's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it!"

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

If it cold enough for heat inside the coach and I leaving before the AC is needed than I turn the eng heat on. I have been in -15 with no problem starting the 96. I would leave the pre heat on when I went to bed at night if I was running the aqua hot and this make for easy starting in the early morning. Have not been in any cold with the 04 but plan to do the same.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

What the heck were you doing in -15 degrees????
That's COLD!
Doesn't that thing have wheels?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

This is my 3rd Detroit Diesel, I have had a 6v92, 8v92, and now series 60. The 2 strokes liked heat. My series 60 cranks catches in just a couple seconds. Since I just purchased the coach over a month ago, I haven't had any cold weather issues.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

an update.

i found an air leak on the davco 382 fuel processor in the engine compartment. mine has a black plastic ring holding the bottom plate on similar to the black ring holding the clear chamber that the filter goes in.

i took it all apart and went to freightliner and got a new o ring for it. put it back together and primed it.

it took about 2 minutes of cranking to get it started then i let it run for about ten minutes. (long enough to have the guy across the row get a little annoyed that i woke him up from a nap at 1pm).

then it started and stopped repeatedly.

i will see how it does in the morning but i think that air leak was my issue.

i hope so anyway. we are planning on leaving in the morning to drive to st george utah.

tom

btw, i asked newell today what the primer pump was on the main fuel tank. they said it was to prime the fuel pump if you didnt want to pour fuel in the top port. they said they always just pour fuel in the top port of the filter and never use that priming pump.

tom

I start my coach all the time in the 30-40 degree temps no problems. Even been in some 10-20s without using the pre heat. Actually my pre heat did not work and I was unaware of it. My switch was bad from the dash, so I had Newell install a switch in my aqua hot bay. Not sure I've ever used it though.

an update. the bad o ring in the davco 382 fuel processor was the culprit. it let some air into the fuel system and made it run like crap if i got it started. this morning in 55 degrees it started first crank.

thanks for all the info.

and thanks to steve r for talking me down off the roof

tom