You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Learned something new!

We ware in Creede, CO ( Mountain Views Resort ) Newell had mini rally there few years ago!

After month there weather started to get bad, cold, rainy and windy and some snow .
Last two days it got down to 26F in the morning and we ware ready to take off , but engine would crank but not start?
I kinda knew that it had to be due to cold weather! it been starting smooth for past 2 years we own the coach!

I ran out and got Starting fluid at local Hardware store in Creede, than did two sprays in to air intake ( I think that what is its above the engine , pilot rear side ) I then short started at the circuit board ( rear engine ) and she started right on!!!

Something new to learn! I did not pre head the engine night before and that was my problem! if you do that , than engine should start during cold mornings.
I even used generator and it wouldn't start ( new engine battery )

So now, I need to pay more attention to cold nights and do pre heat the switch , if not Starting Fuel is the " ticket "

Heading to Chama, New Mexico for 2 weeks , aspen are in the full swing

Les

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Even if they do start, a cold weather start on a diesel engine without pre-heat is hard on the engine. I use pre-heat any time the outside temperature is going to drop below 50. Just makes life easier on the engine and the batteries. I just have the block heater instead of AquaHot so mine takes longer to warm up the engine.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Only use the starter fluid in emergency. It make for a dry start in the cylinders. Diesel fuel lubricate where starter fluid dose not.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Good to know, thank both of you for your tips!
We wake up to surprisingly cold morning and that was day we accoutered problem! I pre headed engine the next day and it started no problem!

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb