You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

coolant leak under dash somewhere

hi all,

i had a couple of different threads on here about coolant leaks i have fixed. the big one being at the engine coolant hoses. i dont appear to have any leaks in the engine area now.

we arrived at our daughters yesterday and parked in front of her house. after a few hours there was a spot on the ground about 10" in diameter of coolant just under the nose of the coach just to the passenger side of the drivers side headlights.

so like suspected, there is a leak under the dash somewhere. i never once turned the heater core on during the drive, so i hope the leak is before the heater core, assumming the isolation valve that the dash control works is working. but, it must be because i ran the air conditioning and it worked on the dash.

so a nice winter project for me. i will figure it out. this next week after getting things settled at home i will take the top of the dash off and have a look. maybe i will get lucky, who knows.

so, a few questions.

1. has anyone removed the dash on one of my vintage to get at the heater core? if so, let me know so i can call you and you cant talk me through it.

2. just in case, do any of you have the part number for the heater core itself? or any information about it?

we will head to our house this afternoon, ending our 120 day trip in the newell.

so, let me know if you have any info about the dash heater.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
I did it when my inlet hose to the heater core clamp worked it's way off and I had coolant coming into the compressor compartment below the copilot. It is not a hard fix and you can turn off the fluid to the core in the engine compartment on the left of the engine at knee level you will see a monoblock with 4 turn valves. Just above it is a Newell made diagram on a plastic sheet that shows which hose valve is which. after turning this off you will have no more fluid from the dash.
When removing start from the side and pull straight up on the 2 inch x-mas tree clips holding the top on. Newell has them if you break any. Pull each one out of the metal insert they fit into. They don't move easy at first but after you get a few the whole thing will come up. Then you will see the core and hoses under all the wire spaghetti. I just replace and double clamped the hoses and was done. I also straightend out much of my crimped or crushed a/c and heat ducts and cleaned 8 years of debris collection. Getting the top on is a little eaiser aand the "trees" just push into the metal jackets.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

hi larry,

thanks for the advice. i have had the top of the dash off before several times. i tightened what i could see for fittings.

i hope a more careful look will help me find it. i will use the snooper camera i have to look better. it is clear it is leaking somewhere.

my question about dash removal was because i have been told that you have to remove most of the front dash if you need to change the heater core. i was wondering if anyone had done that or had changed the heater core. i am hopeful i will not have to do that.

when are you going to come see us?

tom

Never changed the core, but it looks like you would need to remove the front to get it out from what I remember , when it was first thought that the core leaking could have been the problem it was discussed how much work it would be. Until we opened up the top and saw the hose backed off the core fitting.. I have a bunch of heat hoses and exchangers as well as a/c fans that would need to move and they are attached to the front panel.
We are on our way to Texas for some chair fabric replacement on Monday .. Are you guys home already ? ? any action on the house ?? We are supposed to be in Florida, but who knows now ??

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

we got home about 45 min ago.

on the way home from our daughters where we were last nite after we filled up at flyin j i was in the newell and darlene in the car. i called her and asked if we could stop and hook the car up and just keep going. it was an amazing trip. but we really did enjoy a day with our grandkids...

tom