You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Handling characteristics

Just got our 84 Newel home today. 1000 miles and I had never even driven a class A before. It was a blast, but as I told Tom on the phone I felt like it wandered a bit. I was constantly figiting to keep in where I wanted. I had new 16 ply Goodyears put on before we left Texas. So wondering guys what I should have checked and what after market things I could do to tighten it as much as possible. Don't get me wrong I loved driving it, but I would never park it if it were tighter. It does need front shocks I was told. Assume I needs to be aligned as well.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi Todd....glad you made it home safe. Newells are a blast to drive. I am sure someone will chime in soon with some recommendations on the loose handling and what to have checked. The shocks could have something to do with it, but I'm thinking something needs to be tightened up. Mine tracks pretty good, and is easy to keep where I want it.

What kind of condition were the tires in that you took off?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

What air pressure are you running in the front? You should have it weighed front & rear and use the tables provided by your tire manufacturer. I run 116# in front and 110# in rear.
Glad you made it home safely, now enjoy!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The three best things you can do to arrest wandering are: 1) check for equal air pressure in the front tires, 2) made sure the alignment is good with a little toe-in (a little more than the factory usually recommends), and 3) adjust the steering box to take out the slop that is created from wear.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Just to add to Michaels comments. Tire pressure, ride height, 1/8 toe in on straight axle coaches, check for looseness in tie rod ends and in both panhard links front and back. Add on devices like safet steer are bandaids

Do not allow an alignment shop to set the front end with neutral toe, you can't keep it in the road.

Easy way to check for play is with dial indicator on magnetic base. Mount base on one side of joint and dial against something on other side of joint. Apply pry bar to joint. Anything over. .005 will give you slop

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I drove on US 90 between Morgan City, LA and Houma, LA on an elevated stretch of concrete 4 lane hiway. My coach has 158,000 miles and the road had some "whoop-t-dos". I noticed other cars and trucks bouncing slightly, but my coach seemed to be bouncing more than normal.Shy

Has anyone changed shocks lately? If so, what brand did you use?

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

One of the things I found when working the same issue was
That the bolts that mount the steering box
Was loose. You could see where the box moved. I retorqued the
Bolts and thus the fix. Something to look at
While your checking.

Jimmy

Tuga, I drove that section of 90 between Avery Island and Thibodaux, and my coach and trailer bounced a lot! So much so, that the T'Bird moved 6 inches to the right inside the trailer! It is just a bad stretch of road.....nothing wrong with my front end....something very wrong with the road.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Clarke,

Thanks for the post. You saved me some moneyBig Grin

I kind of thought that when I saw the other vehicles bouncing. It's nice to have confirmationSmile

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga, I find it's worth it to go through Baton Rouge and hit I-10 to avoid that bad section.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337