You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Schematic for 12v electrical system

Does anyone have an electrical schematic or wiring diagram for the 12 volt system similar to mine?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

For in the "what ever it's worth" column, attached are photos of how I arranged the twelve 6-V golf cart batteries on the bottom and top trays. Looks like no one has a schematic of the 12-V system, so perhaps someone can tell me why there are two positive cables exiting the battery compartment from the first and last batteries in the lineup. Only one negative cable, and which end should it exit from? The gravity watering system is not yet installed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester,

Its hard to see the pos and neg terminals on the batteries, so I would confirm with a voltmeter that you do indeed have 12 v out od the bank before switching on the coach.

They look pretty snug in there, but did you think about some type of hold down mechanism? One of

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

http://thebatterytimes.com/wp-content/up...00x519.jpg

Chester,
It is hard to see from the pic.

http://www.familymotorsports.com/selfhel...iagram.htm

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I realize it is hard to see all of the cables, but the connections are correct since 12 volts is going to the coach. My question relates to why are there two positive cables exiting the battery bank, one from each end of the bank. I have attached another photo that shows the two positive cables and the one ground cable. I used 600 volt welding cable, the same as the originals.

I have put in wood shims to keep all batteries from moving around, but at 65 lbs. each, I wonder if they could move up and down. Just in case, I will look to see if I can strap them in.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Im wondering if the installer hooked each of the two banks up separately so that one of the "trays" can be isolated. My Newell has two separate banks of batteries (One in the rear and another midship) They can be connected to the coaches system independently since they each have their own separate disconnect switches. Does your coach have two separate disconnect switches?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

No, there is only one disconnect switch for the house batteries. The switch disconnects the ground, not the positives, and even so, there is a ground cable that bypasses the switch. I am guessing that one of the positive cables and the bypass ground cable go to the inverter. When I installed the new golf cart batteries, I maintained the original exiting cables as shown the the previous photo.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

OK, that is on the ones newer than ours! our '82 Battery Switches shut down the House and the Main Engine Starting at the Non-Grounded (+) Terminals.
We have 2 each Battery Switches. The one (1) at the Engine Starting at the Rear Disconnects the 2 size 8D 12 Volts DC Starting Batteries for the Main and the one (1) at the Front Disconnects the House (in our case, 4 each 6 Volts Batteries wired in Series to produce 12 Volts DC) Batteries.
The only way to connect both Battery Banks is by manually using the Battery Merge Solenoid.
Bit every Coach is different, even if they are sequential!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch