You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello,
My name is Russ Davis, I have been a silent but observant member, on the Newell Gurus, for some time now. My wife Debbie and I are recent, June'13, fulltime travelers from Ohio and have owned several motorhomes in our nineteen years of camping. We have owned, for the last five years, a 1999 Freightliner Century Class 8 semi-truck converted in 2006 to a 40' Motorhome. We bought the rig from the builder who has converted about a dozen used over-the-road tractors in the last few years as a hobby and does a nice job! We are considering upgrading to a Newell as research has convinced us they are arguably the best built, reliable rigs on the road today! Rig #428 the 38' Newell built in 1996 that you folks saw on Ebay awhile back is owned, app. 7-8 yrs., by my wifes' cousin in Az..We had been around the bus off & on for the time he had owned it, and I asked if he decided to sell, I would appreciate first dibs on purchase. Well, in the process of getting final closing on properties in Ohio, downsizing and preparing Truck for F/T travel,etc. he calls and says he's selling and wants to know if we are still interested…well,yeah but…can't hardly sell truck as we are leaving Ohio in a few days. So I told him if he could sell, go ahead and I would advertise ours as we were heading West and would be in Az. in fall and could negotiate then or whatever. Well, he nor I, have sold, but after seeing rig in person again last night, I am considering a consignment company in Phoenix or Tucson and accepting his great offer for his bus! I like the size and although I know most of you are believers in 45' and slides, I just can't get over the maintenance problems I've heard war stories about slide units. We like smaller units and as few problems as we can have! If anyone has any comments on his rig, besides what I've heard,fastest Newell ever built, molehills out of Mtns. and owned as an office previously, I would appreciate. Thanks, Russ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ & Debbie Davis
Coach #428
1996 38' Non-Slide
2015 Jeep Wrangler 4 door
Yellow Lab-Emmy Lou
Full Time Rv'ers

Hi Russ ! I've spoke to your Cuz a few times about that coach. I'm sure you are aware there is always something you can tinker with, but it's a good one! I like it because it's built for 2 n it has all the good 45' stuff in a smaller package, that will come closer to fitting in National Parks and some other smaller places... Put in some New Life Line coach batteries and take a close look at the steer tires and then, Enjoy! ... You'll like the power!

Jimmy

I agree! We wanted a smaller unit than we have now, just torn about the slides, he has already replaced batteries cple. Weeks ago and I am planning on tires also, even though I just put $4 grand in tires on the truck in June,ugh! We have the same engine now with 13 speed RR & 800k w/rebuild @730k and all I need for power!

Russ & Debbie Davis
Coach #428
1996 38' Non-Slide
Yellow Lab-Emmy Lou
Full Time Rv'ers

First Welcome Russ! I'm not sure what the shortest coach Newell built with slides ,,but some on the site sure do..I'm sure they will chime in! I would say that Newell builds a Great slide and are mostly trouble free.. Like anything mechanical the more of it the more maintenance..

But the Extra room is really nice when you pull into that campground!

Jimmy

Russ,
Welcome to the forum! The Newell you are looking at is very nice & must be a rocket ship.

"I know most of you are believers in 45' and slides, I just can't get over the maintenance problems I've heard war stories about slide units."

Most of us are believers in 45' mostly because almost all of the late model Newells are 45'. I found that my 40' Country Coach was the perfect size as a 40' coach has a full size living area, galley, bath & bedroom. When we began a search for a 2 slide Newell we never saw anything but a 45 footer for sale. Therefore we bought a 45 footer by default.

As to slide maintenance, the only maintenance that Newell recommends on a HWH slide coach is keeping the oil reservoir topped off and the seal surfaces as slick as possible. I've owned two coaches with HWH slides since 2001. I have spent a total of $1200.00 on slide repairs with a traveling delay of less than one day. On a 2 slide coach if a slide(s) get stuck in, the coach is still as usable as a non slide coach until you can get it fixed. The problem comes when a slide(s) get stuck out. Had it happen twice. First time a weld fastening the boom to the slide broke. Suzy & I pushed the slide in, locked it and we were off. Having it rewelded was inexpensive. The second time was on our recent trip. The hydraulic pump motor quit with the salon slide out and the bedroom slide in. Newell got a new motor to me in less than 24 hrs. It was a 1 hr r & r. In both of these issues Newell's 24/7 service was very helpful! Slide issues are not a major concern for me.

In June we had a Guru rally in South Dakota. 32 units showed up, of which most were Newells. The age of the coaches ranged from 1982 to 2010. There were coaches from 38' to 45'. No two coaches were the same. Every single one was unique to itself. I would have been proud to own any one of the Newells, No two Newells are the same, so get the one that fits your lifestyle and how you use it.

Good luck in your search. Its the second most fun you will have. Ownership has been the most fun.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Thanks for the welcome! I feel like I know a lot of you folks already (from lurking here for months), we just missed you all in S.D. this summer and wished we hadn't, sounded very informational and fun! We are torn by the fact of the room of slides vs additional cost of purchase as we are surviving very well w/o at this time in "Bigfoot" our Truck Conversion! I have another rig in mind, #442 we are going to view in Phoenix within the next week, before we fly out to Hawaii to visit our new grand baby, and maybe the parents also,lol, for a cple. weeks and then try to decide.

Russ & Debbie Davis
Coach #428
1996 38' Non-Slide
Yellow Lab-Emmy Lou
Full Time Rv'ers

hi russ, lots of good questions. i have had a 38 and 45' newell. loved them both. the 38' i sold to another member of our forum. it was a rocket too. a 38' newell with a detroit is very peppy. that said, my 45' with a detroit is pretty peppy too.

looking is a lot of fun.

btw, i live in the phoenix area. come and visit us.

tom and darlene

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the invite! Do you know that coach #442 by any chance? We are heading up your way from Benson in a day or two, so maybe we can talk then! Thanks, Russ

Russ & Debbie Davis
Coach #428
1996 38' Non-Slide
Yellow Lab-Emmy Lou
Full Time Rv'ers

give me a call

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hello All!
Just wanted to let you know that we are officially Newell Coach owners! We purchased coach #428 a 38' non-slide Series 60 DD previously owned by Larry Browning of Sierra Vista, Az. We are really pleased with the unit and have decided that we made the right choice! The coach runs out great and everything seems to work as it should, except some interior light bulbs are out, which we will replace with LED at the Escapees RV Club "Escapade" rally next week in Goshen, Indiana. The only issue we had on our trip from Az. to Ohio was I noticed some minor oversteer during rough or windy conditions. Knowing that Larry had the coach to the Newell factory and had front end work done, I wasn't too concerned, but didn't think it was handling quite right. I have used a company called S & S Spring in Ohio, so I called them for a complete inspection appointment. After checking the alignment, air bags, front and rear suspension the only issue they saw was the torque bar bushings on the rear axle were worn and they recommended replacing, so we did ($391). They are located just a short distance from I-70 in central Ohio and by the time we jumped back on the interstate I could really tell a big improvement!
We really appreciate the information you folks give on this site and I check it daily to see what we can learn! Who says you can't teach an old (58 y/o next week) dog new tricks!

Additional pic

Additional pic

Additional pic

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ & Debbie Davis
Coach #428
1996 38' Non-Slide
Yellow Lab-Emmy Lou
Full Time Rv'ers