You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slides in or out

When you store your coach do you leave the slides in or out? And do you leave the compressor on or off?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc,
I leave the slides in because it is less room to heat as I'm in a cold climate. Newell leaves their coaches with the slides out. I turn off the 110V compressor, but leave the 12V compressor on. It will keep the slide seals inflated.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Too bad there is not a "store mode " where the 12 volt would only do the side seals

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Your 12V compressor only does the slide seals, pocket doors and toilets if I recall right. It doesn't air up the entire system like the 110V & engine compressors do.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Slides out compressor on...

On my coach, I have lots of troubles with water leaking in from the little creases in the seals. The water has corroded several slide bearings.

I have done the little silicone in the crease trick, but still believe that water gets in....so....in order to keep water out....

I bring the slides in and leave the 12V compressor on.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

For long term storage under a roof, should air be exhausted from the air bags? If so, all batteries can be disconnected and air door locked with the key.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
I'm not sure there are correct answers to these questions.....just opinions. Newell has all those coaches sitting on their lot for months with the slides out and aired up. On the other hand I block my coach up for the winter. My reasoning is so I can work on it, not because I want the air springs aired up or empty. This is what works for me. My only concern would be, not leaving the 12V air pump on, your slide seals may not remain inflated.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The reason I am asking is because I can rent space in Tucson under a roof for $150/month, but there is no power and if I leave it for several months, the compressors most likely would run down the batteries. I would plan on leaving the slides in, air bags empty, and all batteries disconnected. The advantage is savings in fuel by not driving the coach about 700 miles round trip down to my home in Mexico. I also have some level of concern about breaking down in Mexico.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

What about a solar panel to keep the battery charged?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337