You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Pump

Anyone know how to find Thomas 2688TE44/38 Air Pump cheaper than Newell

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

This may be the rebuild kit if it needs that:

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Compressor%20.../00107808/

The brushes are mounted on a plate that's replaceable. Grainger had it when I did mine.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I have a spare used Thomas compressor and wanted to rebuild it for a backup. I looked at the Zorotools site and the kit they list (from the link posted) is a SK2668. The compressor is a 2688TE44 and it is a high pressure unit and different from the 2668. The high pressure piston is smaller than the 2668. I have not found a rebuild kit yet. Cresslie told me they are not cost effective to rebuild, maybe that's why he let me take a trash unit!!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Since my last post there has been some research. The 2688TE44 rebuild kit is available from DOCS LLC a Thomas rebuilding facility, the cost $248.00 with a four week lead time. They will also rebuild for you for an additional fee.

ecantotom has also researched compressors as well as several others and their findings are on this site. To condense, there are several units that have been used and I'm sure not all are listed here. Gast, Jun-air, & Thomas to note a few as well as China units that tout 3000 hour life span.

Thomas built units used in coin operated gas station compressors but they are 110psi max whereas the 2688 is 160psi max. A link to a seller: http://www.thomascompressor.net/Store--Buy-it-Now.html list them rebuilt for $154. If you can live with a lower pressure, this might be an option.

I recently bought a compressor for the wood shop and it uses a china made compressor, the whole unit was $250. Picture of front included. Max pressure is 120psi.

Hope this is helpful.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I got a replacement Gast from Grainger & was able to get a 2yr extended warranty on the 1st one I exchanged due to lack of building pressure. It's a great deal to the the extended warranty from them.

Omitted the rear view which shows the Chinese knockoff. A copy of the Thomas WOBL compressor.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

i have no issue with a chinese knock of of something that is made in china. i went to china as part of my job for over 20 years quite frequently and went to a lot of factories and their quality can be as high or higher than anyonelses. in fact, the chinese consumers of that kind of product are much harder on them than we would be and expect them to last forever.

just my two cents worth. i bought a used jun air to replace mine but only did so because i found a small unit like gordon put a picture up that had a jun air compressor on it and paid under 200 bucks for the entire thing on ebay. it was used, but looked like new. and it had 150 bucks worth of hardware on it, some of which i used too.

i dont subscribe to the concept that you have to replace something exactly the same just because newell uses it. for sure they use nothing but the best, but for something that is 10 years old there are usually a number of alternatives. i use what they originally put in as a guideline and if i can make it work i use the same thing, if i can find an alternativie for a better price that will work and meet my needs, i do that as well.

that compressor is for supply side air when you are sitting still and not for brakes. it is not something that is a big dealt to use something else. for me, the biggest consideration was not brand, but noise level and output psi. it seems to be a mixed bag as to where they mount the compressor. mine is in the front bay where the genny blower is and that was not a great place to put it. you can hear it when outside. some are in the genny compartment mounted at the front. that is the quietest, but has hoses and cord that get moved everytime you open and close it. and some have it mounted in a bay, but that takes room.

they used both oil and oiless compressors. when i talked to newell, they said they went away from the oil jun airs becasue people didnt check the oil and it was a hassle. or something like that. but they are oh so quiet. their cycle time is not as great as the oil less, but in our application that doesnt matter.

but...sellers have usually figured out that these things sell for over a grand. so used prices are fairly high as well. the occassional deal pops up like mine when the compressor was part of a unit and the seller didnt realize what it was or just wanted to sell it because it was odd.

btw, i have found air solenoids for the leveling system that way. i bought an entire NOS leveling system for a monoco that had the thomas 12v compressor, the six pack with 6 compatibile valves from hwh, high and low pressure sensors, dryer, mount, complet cabling etc for a little over a hundred bucks shipped. i needed the compressor (those 12v ones are pricey too) and got the rest as a bonus... the deals are out there and you just have to be creative. and be willing to adapt as needed the installation.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I got lucky on eBay a year ago and bought a new JonAir for $180. It is oil less and a bit larger than the one I have on the coach. Keeping it as a spare.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Good post Tom, now I'm looking for a cheap Thomas replacement to have for a "what if" moment

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border