You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turbo temp

I am getting ready for our first trip south and have a couple questions ? I have a 1987 8v92 DDec ,what should the maximum temp be on the turbo temp gauge . Also the trans gear indicator has only partial numbers showing ,would there be bulbs to change or does the whole thing have to be changed ? Thanks

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

Since most Newells don't have EGT/turbo temperature gauges, is your sensor mounted on the air intake side of the turbo on the exhaust side? The temperature drop across a turbo can be several hundred degrees. I have caravaned with a friend that used to have a 1990 Wanderlodge with an 8V92. He recalls that his read about 200-300 degrees at idle, 600 degrees under load and might get up to 650-700 degrees climbing hills. Based on those numbers, I assume his gauge was on the cooler exhaust side of the turbo as I would expect the temperatures on the intake side of the turbo to be 200-400 degrees higher than that. Maybe another Wanderlodge owner with 8V92 experience could chime in.

My coach has the Alison HT-740 with air shifter. I had several segments on the display that were not illuminating. I also had nothing illuminating in Reverse. I had the air shifter rebuilt due to issues with it not wanting to go into gear without long delays and the gauge started displaying the gear properly. Unfortunately, after several months, the issues recurred. If you have segments that never display regardless of the gear it could be the display. Otherwise it is more likely a connection somewhere that is causing the issue.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com