You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Height Control Valve Info

Last year I replaced all three HCVs because two of them were cracked in the same place where the metal fittings screwed into the plastic body. I replaced them with the new blue colored universal Ridewell HCV.

After I did that, I noticed the air compressor cycled excessively, about once every two miles. Before it might cycle once in thirty miles. I suspected the valves, but also suspected that I had missed some set up trick. I could see the supply side needle move downward as I drove. I also noticed that the supply air needle would bounce when I would hit a bump. It wasn't that way before the new HCVs.

After talking with Ridewell, I learned they changed the design of the valve to be fast acting. It adds and dumps air at the slightest change of the arm. The engineer told me I need the Slo Response valve that has the GREY body. Lovely. I didn't find those critters on the internet, so I used another source. http://heightcontrolvalve.com/

I bought the standard deadband delayed response valve. They are different for right and left. The one under my front was a right hand valve. If you use these make sure you tell them you need 1/4 inch quick connect fittings. They normally come with SAE threads.

I am happy to report after an afternoon under the bus that the air use has returned to normal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

they are very reasonable priced too at less than 50 bucks each.

glad you got it fixed. i know it really bugged you.

you are indeed the master of the HCV.

richard, you are up past your bedtime.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Richard. I have had all 3 of my HCVs replaced during the past 3 years. 2 were cracked and leaking. The third was done as a precaution. I got all three of them from Newell and they are all the blue valves. :-( I even mentioned to Newell that it seemed that the air compressor was kicking in much more often than in the past before I changed out the 2nd and 3rd valves. Until your post, I wasn't aware that the grey valves existed. Bummer. Looks like I may have to consider changing them again in the next couple of years. Running the air compressor that often can't be good for it.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Richard,
Do you have a part number?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Newbie question.....this week they replaced an air valve in my that was shot and this it was riding very low on one side. Looks great now. High and level.

Is this the same thing you are discussing an HCV?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

probably yes, but your description is quite vague. the hcv's are mounted on each frame rail in between the tag and drive wheel on each side. you can look in and see them with a rod going down. there is one on each side

there is only one in the front and it is dead center over the front axle.

there are other valves that could cause it to ride low, but that is likely what they did.

if you have a part number or make of the valve they put in you can identify what it was.

glad you are making progress.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I purchased 3 HCV today from Dayton Air Control Products 800 831-1893 and I spoke to Rob.

Passenger side control valve K870005 $58.90
Front control valve K870005 $58.90 (these are the same valve)
Driver's side control valve K870006 $58.90

T fitting K060013 $?

These are the HCV that Richard installed on his Newell. They are stronger than the Ridewells and cheaper.

I do have one question about them: when making a 90 turn the coach leans over to the outside of the turn because of centrifical force. Will these Dayton HCVs make the coach recover from the lean faster than the Ridewells?

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Last September, I replaced all of my drive axle air bags, and in May before the rally, I plan to replace the tag axle air bags which I now have.  I think I have a serious air leak at the drivers side rear, and would like to replace all of my HCVs while in the shop.  I researched the forum and found that Richard and Tuga gave the valve numbers from Dayton Air Control Products back on Aug. 12, 2012.  There are only two valve numbers, one (K870005) for both the passenger side rear and the front, and a number (K870006) for the driver's side rear.  I assume these are the "grey" colored valves the Richard mentioned in his post.  I had assumed that there were three HCVs in the front, one in the center and one on each side for leveling the coach.  If so, should not all three of the fronts be replaced, or just the center one?  Any other advise would be appreciated.  I read one post that Ron Skeen replaced his with King Of The Road valves, but special brackets are required.  I need to get my valve order in soon so they will be delivered in time.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

There should be a total of 3 HCVs. One in the center of the front axle, one at the left rear drive axle and one at the right rear drive axle. At least that is what I have on mine.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Chester,

The numbers you referenced are for king of the road valves. You only have three, one in front and two in back. Call me if this doesn't make sense to you. 817 223 2056

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )