You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell House

floor was finished today.  it turned out even better than i had expected.  now i hope it stands the test of use....

going to let it cure for a week before i put the newell back in.  but will start assembling the rest of the shop this weekend.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks great Tom.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

LUV IT!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

How long does it have to cure until you can move the Newell back in?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

the newell is the least of my concerns on getting things back in. i have to start doing final assembly on everything else.

but....i am waiting at least a week before any vehicle goes in there. he said a few days, but i dont have to take any chances.

tom

That is so beautiful that I would not dare do any serious work on it.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Those floors hold up well. Mine has been in use for 5 years and for the most part, looks new.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Tom,

About your floor. It looks great! Is there anything specific that you call that floor other than epoxy? I would love to do that to my garage floor. (Until I move and find a place to build a bus barn). Around here, guys say they can do epoxy floors in one day....that sounds a little short to me!

Thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,

garage floor coatings are an emotional topic. just go to garagejournal.com and research it. he was here about 7 days if i recall.

i researched the daylights out of it. a friend of mine is on executive staff of shasta pools, a large national pool builder and he referred me to the manufacturer of some of their cement coatings. in turn that manufacturer (who was in phoenix) met with me and referred me to carmen of american floor coatings.

http://www.wecoatamerica.com/Products.html

carmen is a one man shop who has been doing this for close to 30 years and is very professional and quality oriented.

there are epoxy and urethane floor coatings. epoxy for the top is thicker, but not as scratch resistant as urethane and epoxy yellows when exposed to sun. urethane alledgedly does not. carmen does a lot of commercial buildings, hangers, churches etc and i went with his airplane hanger floor system with kinda medium to heavy chips.

he was very flexible and we had the primer coat and medium coat custom colored to our exact color we picked. he also got us sample bags of different color chips and we experimented for days with different mixtures of chips till we got exactly what we wanted. and the mancave has different chips than the main garage. not many companies would let you do that.

he had two huge diamond grinding machines and spent an entire day grinding the floor. then two days of patching it to be as perfect as possible. he sanded down the patches and also pressure washed the floor.

the colored primer coat was a 2 part water based epoxy. put on heavy. that dried overnight and the next day he cleaned the floor and then did the aliphatic urethane that is solvent based and a two part as well (urethane and hardener) he did that in small sections and then threw the chips in (and he was a master at that).

once he was done with that, (he started at 6am each day and was done by noon or so). the next morning he used a metal scraper and dutifully scraped the entire floor to get the chips that were partially loose or standing up off.

then he blew the whole place out with a backpack yard blower and did a top clearcoat of the same aliphatic 2 part urethane. there is still some texture in the floor from the chips so it is not slick like glass.

like i said, there are a zillion opinions on this stuff. carmen was meticulous, very skilled and nice when dealing with tough customers like darlene and i who are into the details.

time will tell if it holds up, but not sure what else i would have done differently.

for sure it is not inexpensive but it sure makes the place look great and will be easy to clean.

thats my 2 cents worth and i am stickin to it

tom

New shop looks great & you and Darlene should be very proud.  It will be fun watching the transition to a working Newell garage.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531