You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Maintain/Troubleshooting

Well I just found something else to add to my list of things to check while under the coach. The base plate the front shocks are attached to has four 3/4" bolts holding to plate to the suspension. These four bolts were loose and they were loose on both sides. Why all eight were loose is beyond me. I have been hearing a rattle going through small towns, but couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, either inside or outside. I hope I've found it and will know on my next trip. I will check this each time I grease the chassis.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks Chappell..................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Did you put loctite on the nuts?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If all are loose it may be that the bolt metal has fatigued & stretched. It may be time to replace bolts and nuts.

No I did not put loctite on the nuts. On the left side the nuts were covered with grease and dirt and could only feel them with my hand. Not enough room to see them. Pretty tight in there. The nuts are on top. I noticed it first because one of the bolts was far enough down, about 1/8", so that it shined like a clean new bolt. The right side was cleaner, because no grease fitting above it. Still could not see nuts on top. I used a ratchet on top and open end wrench on bottom to hold to bolt head. I have them tight now and will check on them from time to time and if they come loose again I will put new bolts and nuts with a lock washer. Couldn't tell with my hand if there was lock washers or not. I guess I will get a mirror and have a look on the clean side. The stabilizer is also bolted to this plate,and its two bolts were tight. So there is a lot going on here.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Checked this morning and the nuts are the locking type. I don't know, either someone loosen the nuts and forgot to tighten them or the bolts have metal fatigue as mentioned above. It seem strange that all 8 would be loose. I was working from behind the wheel yesterday and this morning went under from the front of the wheel. You can see the nuts better from the front but the bolt heads better from the rear. More room in front. Got a couple of short trips of about 200 miles coming up and will check them after that.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
Replacing the bolts and nuts is good advice. I also never reuse a locking nut once it has come loose. Consider at least replacing the locking nuts.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve. Since the coach is raised and blocks under it, I will replace the bolt, nuts with lock washers. It will be interesting to see if any one else has this problem. Richard I will also use loctite.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
Since I had the front wheels already off, it was easy to check those bolts and they were tight. You mentioned a stabilizer mounted to the bottom of the shock mount. I presume the stabilizer can also be referred to as a sway bar? My sway bar does mount to the bottom of the shock mount bracket as you described.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

If replacing nuts & bolts, it would be a good idea to check with Newell to make sure you replace them with the proper grade. For a critical application it may be as high as a grade 8.