You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Prevost convertor competing with Newell

Here is a new Prevost convertor who is putting out a 2 slide coach for just under $1.5M. That is below Newell's current price point on a 4 slide coach. Probably below Newell's current price point if you ordered a 2 slide.

I have not seen the coach in person. I'm only posting this to show that there is people willing to compete out there.

http://2011prevost.com/Emerald%20Luxury%...elease.pdf

https://www.emeraldluxurycoaches.com/

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

So let me get this straight....Emerald will build a coach with:

...fewer slides,
...ah hem, Prevost styling instead of Porsche styling,
...Oak wood interiors instead of gorgeous hardwood laminates,
...split windshields instead of single piece
and no steerable tag, or ZF active suspension....for a lower cost.

Good Luck!

If they want to compete they have to do something significantly better than the incumbent. "Our coach is almost as good, yet costs less" is never a strong selling point. They will have to be bold to be successful (Think about the state of the phone market before the iPhone was introduced.)

I humbly offer a few suggestions to an aspiring coach builder:

...Engineer a coach with modern composites like the Boeing 787 Dreamliner (lighter, stronger)
...Figure out Lithium battery technology and use for house batteries
...Add radar assisted driving like the newer BMWs and Mercedes
...Incorporate features like integrated solar panels to make dry-camping / tailgating quieter and greener.
...Use dynamic glass on side windows for privacy (One switch turns the glass from clear to grey opaque)
...Figure out a way to use one of new LNG engines. "Cummins projects that by 2020, nearly 30 percent of its high horsepower engine production will be natural gas due to the increasing abundance of the fuel and its relatively low cost"
...Raise the roof. My house has 11' ceilings, why doesn't my coach? Use the existing slide technology to build a frame-in-a-frame that will raise the entire roof when landed.

Newell has continued to innovate and makes a large step forward every couple of years. If Emerald or anyone else wants to compete they are going to have to get up pretty early in the morning!

Anyone else got ideas for radical new features for high end RVs?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Well you could add regenative braking to charge the lithium house batteries.. Possibly to supplement or replace the jake brakes.

Jimmy

Bill,
I do agree with many of your points. Remember I own a Newell and have no desire to own a Prevost. But this is the first builder who has gotten the price of a Prevost coach BELOW a Newell. Hard for us to understand, but some people prefer Prevost coaches and I'm going to guess if this trend continues it will cause Newell some competition. Now in reducing the price $750K to $1M some things must be different than current Prevost models. In reading the press release the builder talks about taking the complexity out that many owners have criticized. And making the coaches more serviceable, which has also been an owner criticism. It sounds to me like this is the first Prevost builder who is moving more toward a Newell philosophy of less glitz and more emphasis on ease of maintenance.

jmho.........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I am with you Steve! I was actually thinking of stuff I would like to see on Newell coaches in the future.

I can't understand why anyone would prefer a Prevost...except maybe I think they have a little better ground clearance.

I think some of the complexity comes from redundant systems. In my coach I now have five different ways to heat the coach....plenty of complexity but also can make it toast warm even in 6 degree outdoor temps.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

This reminds me of my thought process before I bought my first Newell. I'm not sure what the overall advantage is for a conversion application but I am somewhat partial to the stainless steel construction of the Prevost. The Prevost bus has an image with a lot of folks that would make Prevost the only choice for them. I don't see myself ever being in the position where I can justify the initial cost of a new Newell or a bus conversion. That being said, I would rather buy a used Newell that was not compromised during construction in order to meet a price point. I find the picture on Emerald's web-site interesting. It appears that they are using some kind of foil-backed insulation. Every Newell I have seen uses the sprayed in foam...A much better method in my opinion.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Uhh , Ahem , sorry. I just scrolled through the gallery and have two corrections to make...It appears that Emerald does use the spray foam insulation and pic 24 shows a practical use for the polished stainless skin!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I feel that this Provost Co. will hurt other Provost conversion co. probably more than Newell. Probably see a price drop on used Provosts.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Did anybody else notice that Emerald is being sold at Liberty Coach in Stuart, Florida already a long time converter of Prevost .... It seems as though Liberty whose coaches were always $150k more than other conversions is now putting out an economy model Prevost and it makes sense too. It is what Royal Coach failed to do for the long run and that was build the cheapest Prevost conversion.Liberty is smart to offer a cheaper alternative even if hurting some of there own sales.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Does it have 1 1/2 baths available? I see twin Outback inverters.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458