You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Changing air dryer cartridge

First I will block up the coach.
When I pull off the air dryer cartridge to change it should I bleed all the air out of the system first? Should I bleed the air from the air fitting in the engine compartment?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

No need to bleed air. The dryer holds no constant pressure. Hand tight only going back on.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I had big problems with getting it off. Finally I used a great big strap wrench. The ticket was putting a piece of rubber between the strap and the canister to keep it from slipping.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This might be a stupid question, but how do you know when to change the air dryer? You might say when one starts to get water in the air tanks, but doesn't the 120 volts compressor also get water in the tanks? I pull the lanyard on my rear tank about every two weeks and drain the front tanks when under coach. I also check the small tank in front of the rear wheels. The rear tank with the lanyard usually has a small amount of water in it. Never have water in small tank, but have had small amount of water in the tanks in front, but only check maybe every 5 or 6 months. So when do I change the air dryer?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I change mine annually. I'm trying to avoid water in the air system and for me a $40 desiccant filter is cheap insurance.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve. The ones I had in the past were Haldex Purest and they were over a hundred dollars and were put on with 4 bolts. They recommended change time of 3 years or when water started collected in the air tanks. Not familiar with the Fleetgard that is on the Newell. Will change it yearly, especially since I live in the south where it is humid.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Here is the one I normally get from filterbarn.com

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00092999/k-G1...7Aod-2AAfA

It is cheaper here at ZoroTools. Google searches can save you money if you have the time. With it being cold & snowy in MO, I have the time.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Does anyone have a diagram or can tell me where the dessicant air dryer filter is located?  I have a really greasy/oily looking canister at the rear in the engine compartment on the right of the engine with some big over 1" heavy hoses running in to it... Maybe I will break down and clean it off then I can maybe read it...  oh yeah, where are all these drains referred to in the previous posts please? 

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

You asked, "Does anyone have a diagram or can tell me where the dessicant air dryer filter is located?"

It is on the rear wall of the left rear wheel well.  Sits inside the tag tire.  Filter is mounted on top of the dryer.  You may have to raise the coach to see it.

You wrote, " I have a really greasy/oily looking canister at the rear in the engine compartment on the right of the engine with some big over 1" heavy hoses running in to it..."

I believe the filter you are referring to is mounted low on the right side by the frame rail and it is the hydraulic filter.

You asked, "oh yeah, where are all these drains referred to in the previous posts please?"

I'll assume you are referring to the air tank drains.  If so, on every air tank except one the petcock drains are located on the bottom in the middle of the tank.  The only tank that doesn't have the drain petcock in the middle is the rear crossmember air tank that sits over the transmission--it has two petcock drain holes.  One on the left and one on the right.  You cannot see all of your air tanks without being under the coach.  Reaching each petcock drain can also be challenging, but can be done.  If you don't find at least 10 air tanks you have not found them all.  Some coaches have an 11th tank in basement compartment R-1.

If you need to refresh yourself on where each tank is located, refer to posting #54 at the below link.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=1699&page=6

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

10 air tanks? wow, I had no idea! Has anyone hooked up lanyards to these are can you stretch your arm far enough (without crawing under the coach) to reach them?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40