You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Vibration witchhunt

I do not have a rear bath, but I have closets across the back wall. I do not know what to look for to determine if I have a sway bar. Help please.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, I'm with you. If I drove one with a rear sway bar, I might say I've got have it. I'm sort of stupid when it comes to this and I need someone who knows drive mine and probably say, man you need one. You know the old saying "hamburger is great until you eat T-bone steak". I might be driving a Hamburger.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

not a great analogy for me. i like hamburger better....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I like hamburger better also Tom. But it does make a point.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

May be apples and oranges, but I drove 701 with the sway bar and it was A huge difference.. But there may have been other differences

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

yea i was just kidding mine has the sway bar

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The sway bar is under the coach. Imagine a huge C shaped suspension component about 1 3/8 inches in diameter. The ends of the C will attach to the axle and the middle part of the C will attach to the coach frame. It can be mounted ahead of or behind the rear axle. You can see it without crawling underneath the coach.

Maybe we can set up a slalom course at the rally and see if the sway bars make any difference in speed. Just kidding.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Here is another vibration example: I picked up our coach from seller last Aug in Fla. Drove on I-10 coming back to Texas. On the open, smooth, less traffic area, I decided to increase speed. When I got to 70 the rear started to vibrate. I know the coach has centramatics all around. Slowed down to 60 and all was smooth. Kept that speed till arrival. I inspected the rear tag and found that a shock had blown off the top of its mount. The stud was still there. Fortunately whenever that happened to previous owner it didn't take out any air/coolant lines.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

I can attest to the effectiveness of the rear sway bar. When I got my coach it was scary to drive....especially on reverse camber curves. (You know the ones where you lean away from the curve instead into it?) It always felt as if it was going to tip over. But now with the sway bar...it is a breeze to drive. Before I could not get over 65 since it was too scary...now with the sway bar I still don't go over 65 but now 'cause of fuel economy Wink

One of my favorite "mods" I have done to #653.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Richard for the information. I could see no way a sway bar could be mounted toward the front of my rear axle. I would be much easier to face it to the rear. Is it mounted on top or on the bottom of the axle? My front sway bar is facing toward the rear and has the height adj. attached to the rear of it.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot