You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 oil?

hi richard, no concernes about the fumato valve being too low and getting clipped by something on the road? i have on on my genny.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I put one on my '93 and it made it much easier.
The Series 60 looks like it takes a T-201
Any idea what size the generator takes?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Tom,

There is a slim risk that something could catch the valve and rip it out. It doesn't protrude lower than the oil pan, put it does protrude a couple of inches inline with the drain hole. The differential pumpkin is about three or four inches lower than the oil pan so I saw that as some protection

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just installed my fumoto valve on my 60. Had to use one of the side plugs since the plug in the front of the oil pan was rounded. Darn gorillas! That's one reason I like to do my own maintenance.
Anyway the fumoto fit and doesn't hang any lower than the bottom of the pan.
I cut the bottom of a 30 gallon plastic drum about 10" high and it worked great. For the filters I punched a hole in the bottom so they could drain before I removed them.
Pre-filled the new filters before I installed them and total was 8.5 gallons Rotella 15w40.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, I think you will find that you should not pre-fill the oil filters. Pre-filling enables that oil to get into the engine without going through the filter. Otherwise the filter is filled from the pan and the oil is therefore filter before going to the engine. It is just a potential for contamination, even though very small.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Forest:
Which Fumoto did you use?
Which one goes on the generator?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Used a T-201 for the engine. Don't know about the generator, that's your job Steve.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, I had the same problem you had trying to get the front drain plug loose. It was already rounded so I took a pipe wrench to it and still couldn't move it, so took it to my diesel expert and they had the same problem. It could not be moved even with brute force. So we took the plug out of the front of the pan. It came out easy. The Funoto valve that I had bought did not fit the front plug, so we put the plug that we took out back in. But the beauty of the whole thing is they only charge me $60.00 after 2 hours of work and will depose of the old oil and filters. I furnished the oil and filters and was there the whole time and they filled the filters with oil before installing them and I am happy. I was clean and the two of them will need a really hot bath tonight. Mine took 9 gallons and I will check it tomorrow when cold. They also found a leak in the hydraulic line and fixed that.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

i will start changing my own oil once i get the shop done.

i will have to try the fumoto valve. i have one on the genny already

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Since the Fumoto has a thickness to it at the threads, how much oil do you think remains (can't get out because of that thickness)? If it went in straight up, you could measure the bung thickness and cut the fumoto thread length to match the bung thickness and get out the same as the oem plug setup. Kind of an obtuse question I know, but I'm that kind of guy! Big Grin

06 M450LXi 3 slide