You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Both basement A/C off at the same time.

OK Here is my problem: I've been sitting in Las Vegas since the last of Oct. with out a need to run my A/C, so the wind comes up today with a lot of dust, so we decided to close the rig up and run the A/C. Well we tried, but neither one would come on, so I started checking things on what I know (which is not very much). No. 1 the breakers in the big box in the closet, all OK. 2 I checked the little 3.o amp. fuses for the thermostats, both OK. 3 Went to Problem-Remedy for no cooling, I reset the thermostats, nothing. I even started the ginny up and that didn't make it work. My thinking is maybe the thermostat went bad, but what are the odds of both going at once. Any bright ideas on what my next thing to check might be?
Thanks for your help.
This is on unit 516, 1999. The A/C's are the SCS type

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Been using the Aquahot on electric?
Did you put that switch back on A/C? The one on the panel above the microwave?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Problem solved, we were using the electric part of the AquaHot and the A/C's won't work with that on.
It's so rough being such a dummy, but I feel better since I fixed it on my own. Thanks anyway.

Thanks Forest, you worked it out in 5 min. it took me 6 hours.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Bob, truth be known, we have all done this more than once. I bet we will do it again.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

This is interesting to me. I have had several coaches with Aqua hot. Can you make hot water with electric and run AC at the same time? I have always been able to make hot water and run the AC at the same time.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Newell puts in a 1500 watt 120vac + a 4500 watt 220vac elements so you have enough hot water and coach heat on electric for temperatures down in the 20's. But you can only run either electric aqua hot or A/C's due to the high amp draw.
There is a way to add a switch so you can run only the 120vac element and your A/C's at the same time. Rudy Leggett (Trainer) explained it to me and I may add the switch.
If you're going to the rally in June Rudy will be there.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Doug,
I have 4 roof airs that may be what your new coach will have. When I turn on the electric AquaHot it shuts off A/C #2 & #3, which is the center of the coach. If I was building a coach I would have it shut off a/c #1 & #4. The reason Newell has it shut off two a/cs is that they are the only coach manufacturer that uses a 110V electric element & a 220V electric element. Shutting down two a/c s keeps you from overloading the power system.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yes, you can make hot water and have AC units on at same time but you need to use the diesel burner to do it. The Aquahot units that Newell uses are different from normal AH units in that they have dual electric elements. (Great for heating water quickly, and efficiently) The down side is that they can pull a lot of current.

The limiting factor is not the Newell, but the 50 amps that are available from the shore power.

In my case, I have one roof air (along with my basement units) that is wired to work at same time as AH on AC. So it is not an issue for me....but for general purposes, I use diesel for hot water in the summer.

Russ, our resident Electical Engineer may want to weigh in here and correct what I said!

ps. can't wait to see pictures of your new coach!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill

I will get pics after we get it on or about July 7. In my 2010 Prevost I had both 110 element and 220 element and 4 roof airs no problem. I guess I need to call James and speak to him about this function.

Why would 1 and 4 ac's be a better choice then 2 and 3? I really appreciate the input and feedback.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

After living in my coach, #1 & #4 would be my choice for the following reasons:

a/c #1 is ducted toward the drivers area. Therefore I usually use #1 when I am driving and it is very hot. Don't need hot water as the engine is heating the water as I drive.

a/c s #2 & #3 are the units that I use the most. They cool the salon & galley very well. Many times we need hot water when we are in the galley of the coach. We probably spend 75% of our time in this area of the coach.

a/c #4 cools the bedroom and rear bath. When we cool down the bedroom we are usually done using hot water for the day.

Since our electric shuts off #2 & #3 we just run the diesel AquaHot to heat the water more than we would if we had it configured differently. Upside is our diesel burner gets used regularly.

Doug--thanks for the info. I thought only Newell used the 220V electric. Apparently others have begun using it too.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531