You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

11R24.5 tire brands

So, is there more differences between how tires get treated and how long they last than differences between brands and how long they last?

I get to replace the drive and tag axle tires. Is what brand not as important as proper air pressure, rotating etc? Not so interested in 'the best' brand as much as are there some brands you just needs to avoid?

Also, anyone running a lug pattern on drives? Just don't see a reason to, plus it would you more positions to rotate to.

thanks

marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Marc unless you put way more than average mileage you'll probably do like most of us and not rotate. Tires usually age out long before they wear out. Last year we put about 8000 miles on the coach.
And unless you plan to spend time off-road or snow, there's no reason to put lug patterns.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I highly doubt I'd ever wear new tires out.

With that in mind I'm not sure I can justify the pricing between a new upper end >$600 tire vs and <$400 tire. However, should one come apart ( granted any of them can ) the repair bill would make the cost diff in the tires nominal.

marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

I think you'll find buying through the Michelin Advantage Program will make them very competitive on price.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The Advantage Program is something we'll be looking @

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Marc

You can get the Michelin discount program as well as a fleet discount Napa card at Prevostcommunity.com You do not need to have a Prevost and it's a free site as well.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Marc, We have lugs on drive & tag axles. Put them on because of cost differential. We will probably go with michelin or bridgestone rib tread steer/all position next time around.

Newell has historically had excellent service from Bridgestone and Goodyear tires in the 11R24.5 size. Get the H rated Bridgestone or Goodyear and you should be good to go. This recommendation ONLY applies to the 11R24.5. Newell ONLY recommends Michelin for the 315/80R22.5 tires.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I think you will find that motorhome tires are specially formulated to resist damage from the sun whereas truck tires are not. I will never ever run with a Yoyo tire based on previous blow outs. If you have ever had a steer tire blow out, you will have concluded that you want the best tire you can buy, irrespective of the price. For me that will be a Michelin.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, I didn't think 11R-24.5 is a motorhome tire. I understood it to be a truck tire. Correct me if I'm wrong. My drive tires are 24.5 and are Michelin and are 2011, but needed tags. I put B.F. Goodrich 11R-24.5 on the tag as was about $100.0 less then Michelin. I did put front tires,22.5 with Michelin Advantage. Herman Power Tire Co. in Nacogdoches told me that B.F.Goodrich were American made and was made by Michelin and when I need drive tires I plan to put on B.F.Goodrich. I will never wear them out before 5 or 6 years anyway.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot