You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Stuck hydraulic filter?

Decided today I would change the filters. Air dryer filter wasn't too hard. Coolant filter was easy.
Hydraulic filter? Wish I knew the name of the monkey that tightened that one! Broke 1 strap wrench, bought another one and after spraying PB blaster on it put enough grunt on it to bust the filter. Right now I'm letting all of the fluid drain out before tackling it again. I didn't see any shutoff valves so is it right that all of the fluid will drain out of the hydraulic tank when you pull the filter?
What fluid should I refill it with?
Any suggestions for removing the filter? All the strap wrench did was kink it enough to make it leak. Big screwdriver?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I had to drive a screwdriver into my air dryer filter to get it off.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Tank just finished draining, I'm going punch a hole in the bottom so the filter will drain. Then I'll get mad at it and either get it off or flip the coach over Smile

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Just talked to Mark at Newell and he said to use any ATF fluid. And to use vaseline on the gasket rather than oil.
And yes he said when you pull your filter you will lose all of the fluid in the tank.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

You might try tapping on it with a very blunt punch & hammer as close to threads as you can get. That may break it free so strap wrench will work. Otherwise put torque on it with strap wrench then tap near threads with a hammer while keeping torque applied.

Sometimes you can drive a screw driver into the filter and use it as a handle. If that fails try to drive the screw driver on an angle towards the filter base so the end of the screw driver lodges in one of the holes in the filter base. That exerts the pressure directly on the part near the rubber seal. tap the screw driver in the direction to remove. (lefty loosey!!!!!!!!!!!)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

For some thing tough like that I have a tool that looks like a big ring compressor that hugs around the filter top to bottom. Then you can get a 1/2" breaker bar on it to exert some big torque. Looks like the link below, but my band is even wider.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-Tools-2321W-W...4897.l4276

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, that is what I used on the air dryer. Only it was a cloth strap that would work on something up to 16" in dia. It worked well and didn't take a lot of doing. I was surprised that I was able to change it without getting under the coach.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Got 'er done. I picked up another nylon strap wrench http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/kd-to...22981209-P
and with a 24" ratchet and long extension was able to get it off. Glad I did the hydraulic filter before I did the coolant filter. I was able to re-use the hydraulic fluid.
FYI: the tank holds about 5 gallons or so. So if you haven't changed the filter yet, get a big clean bucket.
Steve, that tool looks like it would have done a much better job. But I'm about as remote as you are right now so had to get what was available.
Just ordered one on Amazon Prime so I'll have it when I do the engine oil. And ordered a couple remote air tank drains too.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The big ring compressor that Steve highlighted is for removing the big diesel oil filters without crushing them. I have one.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica