You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic

Well here I go again.. http://yuma.craigslist.org/rvs/4343984932.html
Actually thinking about it.. Spoke a while to the owner .. It scars me when they don't know much about the workings.. been for sale for a long while..
The waste tank was leaking..so they just pulled it out?
Interesting it seems to have a drivers door.. not seen that..

Anyway it would be a project for sure.. if the price was right..

Problem is .. it's a long way to just look..

Jimmy

Although the photos are limited, it looks complete and in good shape.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hey there is a classic at the factory I was told came in for a refurb and the owner can't afford the bid.. Might be able to get into contact with someone to see if it's for sale

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I had ask for additional photos so they added 3 to the original listing. There are plenty that doesn't work. But seems straight. It does have the 22.5 wheels which means no split rims. The sewer tank can be made out of poly found a co that will for $$$$. Just need to ponder the travel. I've got time. Don't think it'll bring that sort of $$ if you add up the fix.

Jimmy

Jimmy,
The Newelll looks good. I restored a 1978 38' 15 years ago. A leaky waste tank is quite common. I built a new tank out of 3/16 steel and coated it inside and out with por 15. We welded a steel "bung" with 3" pipe threads into it for the outlet etc. If the tank leaked the floor of that Newell is probably rusted out. I gutted the whole bay. (Hopefully yours has a stainless steel water tank which can be reused). I cut out the rusted floor sheet metal and welded in new. Coated it top and bottom then lined it with plywood that had fiberglass laminated onto both sides. It still looks new today!
One thing to check is the brakes. Early Newells with air brakes employed a wedge-style brake shoe activator. These were used on many semi-trailers as well. They work great but replacement parts may be hard to find. I converted mine to the more modern "S" cam design. That involved finding used backing plates, new drums,actuators, shoes etc.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yep.. If you remember I went through the same deal on my ole 74'. I ripped out the belly of the beast ... Really I drug it out with the rhino. Replaced above the cage. The problem when speaking to users is we're not speaking the same language, so just have to assume its bad. I heard bad.. But if the price is right.. It looks like a great RETIREMENT project. 10 mo n counting.

Jimmy

It's amazing what 40 years has done to Newell. That ole coach looks great and in its days it was a show stopper. Today's coaches are very high tech. Great project for sure.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Yep! It's rewarding to bring em back to life. I like the classics cars, airplanes and Newell's. It's an affliction.

Jimmy

Jimmy my 84 has a drivers side door. Hang On when you climb out or it's a long fall! Now who could scout this for you (Clarke & Tom)???????

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Yuma is a long way from them. I would need to do a eyes on on this one. We'll see.

Jimmy