You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leveling

There isn't much documentation on leveling procedures. #390 has the manual system and works just fine but I'm wondering about height when parked and leveled.
1) Lower it?
2) Raise it to the height so the step is comfortable?
3) Airbags inflated or deflated when parked for a few weeks at a time?
4) Does the 110VAC compressor keep the coach level when parked or do you have to start the main engine to activate the level system?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

Hi Bob,
My 316 has the HWH automatic leveling. My observation is that when you press the auto-level button at "travel height" it releases air from the high sides first then adds air to the sides that remain low if necessary. It will maintain that level as long as I keep the 115 volt compressor on.
If yours is manual I don't believe it will level keep it level when parked. Mine loses all of the air after a few days parked w/o the compressor on. At that point it just sets low at whatever level the terrain is.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Dean's description of the HWH automatic leveling process is right on. My leveling system is tight and will hold air for months with the compressor off. The air pressure for everything else will go to 0 but the air bags keep my coach level. If you leave the HWH system "on", the HWH automatic leveling system will check its balance every 15 minutes or so and readjust if necessary. If the 120VAC compressor is off and the HWH leveling system is "on", if may not be able to level the system after the air pressure drops. Since mine doesn't shift much, I typically turn my leveling system off after it has completed leveling whether I have the 120VAC compressor on or not. Your mileage may vary!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Bob,

With the manual system in 390 none of the automatic features are applicable.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sorry Bob, you stated that you had a manual leveling system and I just read right over that without it sticking. I would think you would want to use a similar approach with the manual levelers. Start by lowering the high sides and only raise where you have already lowered the opposite side all the way. Generally, the lowest level that you can level is best. The 120VAC compressor should keep the pressure up but with the manual leveling system, if it leaks down, you will still have to manually relevel it by raising the sides that have dropped.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

our previous coach, (mr bill's now) had the manual system. i actually loved it. i could have it level in no time. as for where to start leveling, it becomes a matter of preference AND how high you want the step off the ground. if you are height challenged, then you might want it lower.

i would do the manual version of what the hwh does. when you park start lowering the high side. another option is to lower the coach all the way down, then raise the low side.

it is whatever you like and get used to.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Bob.....we have the manual leveling system also. There is no right an wrong, but what I do is lower the side that is high until level. Takes seconds. I avoid lowering it all the way down......just takes longer to bring it back to ride height when you are ready to roll your wheels again. With ours the ignition must be in the start position (engine doesn't have to be running) to level. Once it is level I just turn off the key and it stays that way for a couple of weeks before beginning to settle.....then just add air and all is good again.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like there isn't any particular maintenance requirement to keep the air bags inflated or deflated for weeks at a time, and the manual system will not maintain the manually set level position after a period of time and it settles or looses air. Aside from the mid cabin pocket door and the parking brake, what else needs air while parked?

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

My toilet uses air. It has its own 12V compressor that can be utilized if the main air supply is not available. I don't have an air pocket door but I would think Newell would supply air from the 12V compressor for that as well. The parking brake doesn't require air to set. There are springs that hold the parking brake on. It will not release unless you have adequate air in the brake system.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Some have Bay mounted Freezers that are on a air slide as is the nose mounted genny..

Jimmy