You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front 6 pack

About 10 months ago when we were visiting Todd and Dawn in Sioux Falls, SD Todd gifted to me 5 MAC air valves he had purchased in error for his 1984 Newell. About 2 years ago when we were visiting Tom and Darlene in Mesa, AZ Tom helped me rebuild the rear 6 pack which was leaking like a sieve. I knew at that time that I would need to deal with the front 6 Pack at some point, and what better time than when we are visiting Tom and Darlene again. I only needed one more MAC valve to do the front 6 pack and Tom graciously offered to pick it up for me when he and Darlene were running errands in the Phoenix area earlier in the week.

Wednesday I began the demo of the old six pack, but not before I had taken a picture of the old setup, printed said picture, and then made extensive notes on where all the wires attached. I learned this technique from Tom when we rebuilt the rear 6 pack. Once that was done I disconnected the 5 air hoses coming into the compartment, then cut the wires. The old 6 pack was mounted on a 1/2" plywood platform, which had delaminated over the years due to moisture incursion. The grounds were totally rusted, and compromised, which explains why the front leveling did not work very well.

While Tom removed the old brass fittings from the old valves and moved them to the new valves I prepared the rusted floor for the application of rust inhibitor, and a new coat of gray paint. The inhibitor required 24 hours to dry, so although we had the new 6 pack put back together Wednesday night we had to wait until Thursday afternoon to re-install them.

Instead of using plywood again, Tom volunteered what appears to be a 1/2" thick piece of Corian, which I cut down to fit the space. We won't have to worry about the wood if water happens to get in there again.

At any rate, I spent the afternoon re-installing the front 6 pack......and everything works!

Here are a few pictures for your entertainment.....one picture is the piece of Corian cut to size. Another is the photo I printed with my notes, but also shows the "before".....note the rust. Another is of the compartment with the rust inhibitor applied. Another is of the 6 pack rebuilt and waiting to be installed, and finally one of the final installation......came out great and it all works!

A special thanks to Todd for his generosity......the valves cost about $43 each, and to Tom for his invaluable help in making this happen so quickly!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

you did a great job clarke.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks great Clarke.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

A thing of beauty Clarke. Now why would they use those same air valves in the front and back of yours when on mine they are the same in back, but up front they are different? They are about the same size but round and black. Can recall the brand and model.

Oh well projects start again for me soon. It was mid 60's here today. Hardly any snow on the ground so I imagine my storage guy will pull mine out of the building here in 2-3 weeks.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

We'll be there before you know it!!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

so you think

In Florida there are sinkholes that swallow up cars, houses, etc.
Are there any sinkholes in Arizona? Sounds like there is at least one that can swallow up a Newell!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

you will not know till you get here. we are the newell version of hotel california

tom

But the "Hotel" had a "Pit" !

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border