You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Buffing Hard Surfaces

I am taking on buffing out all the scratches and returning all my Corian back to shiny new with a variable speed orbital palm sander and wet sanding pads ranging from 1000 to 3000 grit. will use the 1000 to feather out the scratches and then buff and clean slurry through 1500 then 1800 then 2000 then 2500 or 3000 depending on how shiny Hedy wants them all. I hope the black edging doesn't present any buffing issues..
I have 6 areas to do in the whole coach....
Anybody have any tips for me from past experiences or am I going to be "schoolin" this time from my mistakes ???

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Larry, When they did ours at Newell they had an attachment to a vacuum that collected all the dust. But may not apply to you if you are wet sanding.

Can you do mine next?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Larry,
I had some deep cuts in mine. I wet sanded mine and dust was not an issue. Finer you go the shinier they get. I used an orbital sander to 4000. Then hand wet sanded with these for the shine. Lots of water reduces scratches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELH...UTF8&psc=1

Good luck.................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i did all of mine in the 90. i bought the sandpaper and scuff pads from this place.

http://www.specialtytools.com/

i wet sanded as much as i could and the mess was there but reduced.

you are right that the shiner you want the finer grit. they also have different pads to dull it just a little i did that and it looked real nice.

you will get dust so plan on it.

the great thing about corian is you can start over if you dont like what you did.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I want to be right after Forest.
My black corian is in need of a makeover

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

come on over erniee. i will do it for you. but you have to clean up the mess.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would like to do it but I am not sure mine is bad enough to put up with the mess. How do you minimize the mess using wet sandpaper?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, dry sanding corian fills the environment with an extremely fine white powder that SLOWLY settles over EVERYTHING and I do mean everything. When I had my kitchen counters resurfaced in my stick house kitchen, they used a buffer/sander that had a massive dust collection shield around it hooked to a big shop type vac that pulled the air through a HEPA filter unit before going into the vac. By wet sanding, much of the fine dust becomes almost a mud slurry on the surface thus greatly reducing the airborne dust. Even with a custom dust elimination system, there was still a residual film of white powder that settled over the next few days.

By contrast, I started sanding down the counter with my small rotary sander with the attached dust collection bag and within a couple of minutes I had almost filled the room with dust. That's when I called someone with more specialized equipment.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I am doing the entire project wet and have already finished an area with no mess. I took 3" blue masking tape and create a wall around the area I am working to hold the slurry. Wipe with a wet rag rinse and start again. The trick to this is working one area at a time and feathering them together is easy.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border