You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to the forum

Alex,
Your volt meters show voltage on both L1 and L2 so, it appears, power is coming in on both AC legs. Have you checked all of the electric outlets to see if they are all live? Although the lights not being illuminated on L1 could indicate a problem, they can and do burn out. They are neon lights and I have replaced over half of them on my coach. On my 1992, the inverter was wired in differently than any other RV I have owned. The inverter didn't have a built in transfer switch and did not incorporate a battery charger. The inverter was turned off and on through external relays and I had a separate battery charger (single stage battery boiler) which was located in the bay with the transfer switch and the power cord. I had the inverter replaced with a larger pure sine wave inverter with a built in transfer switch and built in multi-stage battery charger. A significant amount of rewiring was required to bypass the original external relays. If your inverter is on L1, those relay circuits could be an issue in your case.

Richard is correct, there are dangers in getting shocked if you are not comfortable with electrical diagnostics.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I've got the owners manual for our '87 - while it cover a lot, thorough isn't a word that comes to mind. However - I'll try and get it scanned & upload. However, it will be a couple days.... Sad

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Thanks Marc. For anyone who is interested, I have the owners manual for my 1992 Owners Manual posted on my website at NewellOwner.com

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks for the interest in helping a newbie. Michael thanks for the owners manual link. The system overview helps me build the system in my mind. Just wondered if a relay, contractor, fuse or isolation switch might be at issue. Any knowledge of what is powered off each leg(L-1. L-2)? Hopefully this will all be moot if the seller/broker has it all fixed prior to pickup.
I do have a background in auto mechanics/machinist and aviation electronics so feel quite capable of maintaining most anything. I just need the proper information in order to diagnose. Thank you all

Alex Schmitt
1988 classic
Phoenix AZ

Assuming you have the 4 basement airs, 2 are wired to each circuit. I would suspect that there are going to be differences between coaches based on the layout. However, in the sake of general information, here are the loads on each circuit on #281.

L1
Roadside front air
Mid coach air
Electric Water Heater
Washer/Dryer
Cooktop (240 volts so both legs)

L2
Curbside front air
Bedroom air
Ice Maker
Refrigerator (propane/electric - not a residential refrig)
Cooktop (240 volts so both legs)
Electric outlet over sink (inverter powered)
120 volt Air compressor
Microwave (inverter powered)
Bathroom outlet (inverter powered)
Battery Charger (part of the replacement inverter)
Desk outlet (inverter powered)
Front and rear TV's (inverter powered)

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I just realized I highjacked Retro's thread. Sorry Rerto, I'll post elsewhere

Alex Schmitt
1988 classic
Phoenix AZ

Hey no worries!! Someone might want to move the electrical info to electrical for future reference. Otherwise
My thread is your thread!! Lol

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Hello, and as a small way of introduction, my name is Jeff Rowe and I have opened a service center in Knoxville Tn area. I have been is the service end of coaches for over 20 years and have seen a void in service centers, especially ones that are independent of the convertors/manufactures. You can visit my web site at www.easttennesseeluxurycoach.com Thank You..

I invited Jeff to join the forum. He comes by way of a Prevost forum where his knowledge has been a big help to coach owners. The prevost owners who have used his services rave of being treated fairly and with competence. They also say his shop is right up to date & clean. He has wheel lifts for the coaches that give the wheel weights if you need a place to get your coach weighed. I have not been to his shop myself.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Everything I have read from the folks doing business with Jeff has been positive. Not even a single just an ok experience. If I recall he has some hook ups as well. He also has been a great contributor on the other blog for folks with issues. Great to see him here.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex