You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Installing a washer/dryer

OK Gurus

My Wifevhas said to me that she may want a washer/dryer combo installed in our coach. We don't have anything right now. I think this may be above my pay grade or at least the hooking up of the electrical and plumbing. However, the task does intrigue me and have completed many more projects on this coach before with help from all of you that I never thought I could do. So looking for input and suggestions.

We have a hallway closet next to the shower over the water bay that might work well since it would seem to privide good access to water, the holding tank and I imagine a way to tap into power.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd, as long as the closet is large enough to accommodate the selected washer/dryer combo, the installation will be time consuming but not above your capabilities. You will need to set a new breaker in the power panel and run a dedicated 120 volt line (12 gauge romex) to the closet and install a standard 15 amp outlet that is dedicated to the washer/dryer. Depending on the location of the closet to the bath or kitchen, you should be able to tie into the hot and cold water lines and extend them into the closet. Put standard washer faucets on them. For wastewater, you will need to install a vacuum break and then tie the line into a drain line from the sink or shower. Not difficult but does require access to numerous areas with limited room. If you are lucky, you may find that there are water lines and/or drain lines under a panel in the rear of the closet already.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

We had considered doing this in a previous Newell to ours and the coast at Newell was $12k on a 4 slide 2000 series coach. Lots of reconfiguring I guess. good luck Todd

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Todd, we'll take a look at it when we get there in a few weeks.....maybe with the two of us we can figure it out.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I wonder if it had them previously but our coaches are all different. Ours are located in an area just forward of the shower on the curb side. Take a look at the overhead if you have an area like that, ours has a Vent, if so the Plumbing could be hiding.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Todd.. This may get you by until you & Clark figure it out... It's Green also.. and best powered by Kids..

http://youtu.be/riqYz2WEfRQ

Jimmy

you would be called Mudd in our coach with that bucket

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Ya fairly confident Dawn would find no humor in that bucket idea. I would need a YouTube on building a doghouse for myself.

Steve thanks for the tip. I will wait for professor Hockwald to arrive to eyeball this with me. I got the coach out of storage today. She started up and ran like a champ. Took her back to Interstate Power to be serviced. The mechanic that rebuilt it (Larry) is one of the few I think that really understand the Detroit two stroke. Each year of the last two years I have brought it there right away from storage all the other guys in shop laugh and say he can't wait to see her out and about each spring. I guess he really likes the classic coaches. He seems to solve any issue I ever throw at him so I hope he doesn't retire too soon.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota