You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello all,
Great site. Been reading it for a while before purchasing #406 (named her Shamu) two weeks ago. Very informative.
Just did 5 days at Disney's Fort Wilderness as a check out. Great fun.
Learning curve here. Blush
Any ideas in getting a medium size (about 5 inches x 2") wasp nest's out of the far end of the air intake for the Detroit? Did not want to get any dried mud in the engine.
Thanks!

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Shamu,
Congrats on the new coach & welcome to the forum.

If the wasp nest is between the air intake in the coach body and the air filter then that all comes apart. When you change the air filter you have to take it all apart anyway, so you'll know how to get to & change the air filter.

When Newell first started using the DD Series 60 they put the air filter on the right side. This set up is takes longer to disassemble. If yours is like mine with the air filter on the left side, then you can disassemble, replace the air filter & reassemble in about an hour.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Welcome Shamu406. There will be a large spring clamp around the middle of the air filter, likely a small hose going to a filter minder that needs to be removed, and a collar at the end next to the engine that will need to be loosened. Once those are done, just wiggle the filter around and the filter will slide out. You certainly don't want any of the debris, or the wasps, sucked into the engine.

If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM (click on the PM button under this post) with your VIN for my records, I would appreciate it. Your VIN will start with 1N9, then the length of the coach, then X8 and end with T1011406.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome.

Love the name.

You might could get a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there and get it out.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

welcome and congrats on the coach. if you want to be called something other than shamu, please post or sign your name.

there are many members here that have had or have 95/96 year coaches that i hope will chime in as to the config of the intake.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for the replies!
Rheavn, boy is your coach clean! amazing detail! My intake is on the right. I should probably remove all involved and clean up? Is the air filter a NAPA item, or elsewhere?
Fulltiming, thanks, I guess I have to get down and dirty? I'll get back to you on the VIN.
Richard, I thought about a vacuum cleaner extension tube, but thought some "mud crumbs" may filter through. Will any of that hurt the motor? It can't be good I'm sure.
Encantotom, I'm good with Shamu.
I also get a belt wine on "fast idle", should I simply tighten or replace?
Also have some cracking on the outside of the Hydraulic line below the alternator. Should i be concerned?
Also, anyone know where to get a good price on the rear engine hood gas struts. Mine are shot. Hood won't stay up at all. I checked Ebay, but the extended length and the compressed length are not the same as I have.
Thanks all for your generous replies, I have a lot to learn. I just hope I don't bother or bore you all with future concerns.
Shamu.

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

hey, we are all newell gearheads so we dont get bored with any of it

i used to have a good source for the struts, but it got more expensive.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

For gas struts I go to http://www.spdhardware.com/. They are good to deal with and their struts are quality product. Part #GSNI-3100-150. Last I checked they were $27.27 each.

Air filters are available at many truck sources and probably NAPA. Here is what you are looking for, but you can find it cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Fram-CA7230-Dispos...B001IYFJJY

I usually get mine at
https://www.filterbarn.com/index.php?con...ter+Search

If you can look through the air inlet on the RR of your coach & see the wasp nest in the tube, then Richard's idea of using a vacuum is a good one. The air filter is between that tube & the engine so nothing will fall into the engine. Not real clear on where & how you are seeing the nest. Also is your air filter on the left or right side. It makes a difference as to how to access if you need to disassemble.

Alternator belt squeal. If your set up is like mine, see photo, then solving it may not be possible without changing to a belt tensioner set up. Adjust the belt to 5/8" slack & that's about as good as it gets. Also are you running two separate belts or one double belt? The double belt like this one will help-see photo.

"Rheavn, boy is your coach clean! amazing detail!"
Thank You for the complement. I'm a polisher. I will tell you that mine was very similar to the condition of your new coach. It just takes time and a little work. Or as Suzy says it is how I waste time.

Hope this helps............................

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Where can I source GreenStripe Powerbands ?
Thanks

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Thanks Steve,
My set up looks like yours, (only no where near as pretty, but I'm gonna work on that), double belt. I only get squeal on fast idle.
The nest is at the far end of the cone shaped air intake tube screen, my intake starts on the right rear side of the coach.
Questions...
>Jim at Newell said it was OK to pressure wash the entire engine bay without concern except for obvious electrical connections. Any issues there?
>Any concern for the weather cracked exterior of the hydraulic hose located under the alternator?
>Is my water purifier always on? I did drain it to clean it, is that god enough?
>Where can I get the little orange/amber colored aircraft light bulbs that illuminate the control panels?
> My basement central lock system locks all but three doors, is that an actuator issue?
>I don't have a 50 amp service set up yet (hopefully next week) until then, what is the best way to keep up the batteries?
> will the tire pressures drop after setting for over a week or so? Is there a way to inflate them from the coach?
question, questions, questions... You guys opened a can of worms with me! lol! Thanks again.