You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Location of Surge Protector

I've purchased a permanent mount surge protector and am wondering where yours are located; before or after the transfer switch. If you use a portable one it is before the transfer switch. I'm wondering if the same is true for permanently mounted ones.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

It can be wired either way. You have more protection if you wire it after the transfer switch since voltage spikes or irregularities in the generator will be trapped by the surge protector also.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

on my 90 it was after the transfer switch if i remember right. it basically took the output of the transfer switch before it went into the coach panel and was there.

that one was mounted on the back wall of the electric bay. but it had a full bay and there was lots of room there.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was thinking that wiring it to the output of the transfer switch was a more comprehensive approach but wondered if the generator start-up would make it go crazy. Since you didn't mention any of that I guess my concern was irrelevant. So, I'm going to install similar to Tom's on the output wire from the transfer switch. Thanks guys.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Progressive says to mount it before the transfer switch. They had a reason to do so, something about the genny, but I don't remember what it was. It protects the switch that way, too.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I mounted mine adjacent to the distribution panel since there was ample room and the environment was controlled.

It makes sense to mount ahead of the transfer switch thereby protecting the switch as well but there isn't a lot of room and it is a pretty tough environment. The switch on the 2000 models don't have much in the way of electronics to be protected anyway.

The generator is a cleaner power source than commercial and surges are unlikely. They rarely occur unless the voltage regulator fails.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

And on the PowerTech's when the regulator fails, it usually goes to no voltage and not over voltage.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Wanting to purchase a surge protector. Not sure if I should go portable or hard wire. Not sure which to buy, Camco, Surge Guard, Progressive or what. How difficult and where to mount a hard wire? Suggestions?

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

I have Tom's old coach and it not after the transfer it is before the transfer...

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Great timing on this. I have a TRC HW-RV50, 50 Amp Surge Protector. They recommend mounting it before the Transfer Switch. Here is a link to that;
http://trci.net/media/72823/505-00047-2a..._34560.pdf

They were very helpful when I contacted them about my unit. They stated that they "no longer offered that unit but here is how you test it"........... now that I know it functions I am ready to mount it.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch