You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Starter Lockout Relay

Does anyone have any experience with the starter lockout relay wiring?

The 85 terminal is powered by the start signal but the 86 terminal is not tied directly to battery negative (or chassis ground) rather is a brown wire running into the harness going to the front end.

I suspect neutral safety switch.

Ideas or experience?

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I believe your neutral switch is wired in through the transmission ecu if it is a 4060 allison

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

This may or may not help. Doesn't the key have to be in the on position to use the rear start feature? If that's true, then the relay should be wired through the ignition switch. I could have this all bumfuzzled.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I have read that somewhere also. The key has to be on.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I'm guessing the key being on is needed to energize the engine ecu and run the injectors. The rear start may only energize the starter circuit and bypass the neutral switch of the transmission. If the engine turns over with the rear switch but not the key switch then there is an open somewhere in the circuit through the neutral switch. I had this happen on the 77 coach and it was a wiring connection and not the neutral switch itself but each case is unique.

It would be interesting to know for certain that the rear switch does not energize the engine ecu. If it doesn't, you could turn the engine over but it would not start.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Be nice to know if you can run the starter, without the engine starting, as one could use that method to produce oil pressure before starting after storage.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, I have thought about the same thing, but how many RPMs does the starter turn the engine? Even if it is 300 there would be some wear there if any. Might be even more wear than the engine cranking and running at normal RPM. Oil might get to the right places faster than just cranking???
Also I would think that the switch has to be on as being a safety feature to keep just anyone from starting the engine at will. That particular bay has no lock. Just my thought.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

If this is a 4060 world, the ignitions are wired directly through the transmission ecu for safety.
The yellow wire from the ecu is the ignition wire and the violet is the neutral wire. The relays are in the vim ( vehicle interface module) the rear start may have its own relay in the rear but more than likely wired the same way as the front ignition. The Engine ecm is also wired into the trans ecu. If one wanted to turn the engine over without it starting you could probably just disconnect the injector pump harness. I would have to check deeper but it should work.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

(04-04-2014, 04:55 AM)Richard Wrote:  This may or may not help. Doesn't the key have to be in the on position to use the rear start feature? If that's true, then the relay should be wired through the ignition switch. I could have this all bumfuzzled.

My ignition key does not have to be in the start position to use the rear start, but that's just my 1982 Newell....may not be standard.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

My 77 would start without the key, I'll try my 93 in the next couple days.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed