You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Proper front tire pressure

Michael, I have two Milton, made in USA truck air gauges and one reads 2 psi more than the other. So I put 130 psi on the highter reading one in the front tires and my pressure pro said I have 125-126 psi. So which one is correct?? 315 tires are at max pressure cold (whatever cold is) at 130 psi. So when I check my pressure pro before I leave on a trip and during a trip and there is no more than a pound or so difference I usually don't worry. I really like my pressure pro and have not had any problem in the 5+ years I've owned it. It makes life a lot easier. I will have each tire weighed when I can find someone to do it.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
If you ever go to Newell they have individual portable electronic scales.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I have had Newell weigh each wheel position twice over the years. I have used a gentleman in Kerrville that comes to Buckhorn RV Resort with his scales. I have also used a moving van company in Southern California that, if they are not busy, will let you drive only one side of the coach onto the scales, then turn around and weigh the other side since the scale area is flat without the guardrails that CAT scales typically have. Give the weigh master a tip and they are usually very cooperative.

Without a calibrated tire gauge, you will never know which pressure is correct and even then you could still be off two pounds which is about a 1.5% error at 130 psi. I would not be overly concerned about 2 psi as long as you are measuring the pressure with the tires cold, which you are. Tire specs aren't that sensitive.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Escapees also has individual tire weighing at their rallies and Livingston, TX, Congress, AZ, and Bushnell, FL. They will do individual weights and have a tester to check your gauge. Michael is correct that if your gauge is not accurate then you have no good idea what pressure you really have.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Probably be at Newells on the way to ARK. Rally this summer. Will have them do it. Thanks to all.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

OK, guys, can someone post an acceptable/desirable range with allowances for heat expansion for both front and rear tires, all eight tires? We just had a new tire monitor installed at Newell, one called a Pressure Pro, and Mike Ellis said they have just started using this model. Hate being a guinea pig for anything but so far it's working beautifully. I plan to put the sensors on the toad as well a la Ron Skeen's experience. The monitor display is easy to read and it replaced the old Smart Tire application which wasn't working.

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

They put mine on last month and they are awesome!!

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Gary,

I hate to give you a smartaleck answer, but this is a case where no definitive data exists. The very best you can do is collect what is "normal" for the new data acquisition system and then compare against that. Others may post the temps and pressure fluctuations that they normally see, but you are one of the few on the forum with a four slide setup, so there will be some difference in values.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )