You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine Overhaul

Well we put about 5k miles on this used 8.3 it was using some oil and had some blowby so out it came.
Ordered a complete overhaul kit with pistons, liners, bearings etc. Sent the rad in for a recore, injector pump sent in for a possible rebuild and found a new turbo. The head is also in for a cleaning and inspection. Should be back together in a week or so. Total cost somewhere around 6k. No bad!! Cant wait!!Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

It that the 76 or the 77?

Looks like a great engine project. Should run like a top afterwards.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Lol, sorry its the 77 in Canada, the 76 is in Missouri the engine in it is good.

Love old schoolHeart

I love how you roll Retro!!!!!
You do a rebuild like it's no big deal.....Ya got Newells in two countrys.!!!
Fun Fun Fun!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Any trouble getting parts?

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

I have a couple of diesel mechanic friends so its no problem, the engine is a 1996 so no trouble at all getting parts, the 8.3 is a very common engine so parts are very reasonable, they are a wet sleeve block so we just have to pull the old liners and install new ones. No machining involved reboring.
This is one reason I wanted to update the engine, the old 555 cummins weren't a good engine to start with and parts are hard to get and very expensive.

Love old schoolHeart

Keith, you're going to have a fantastic classic when you're done. Great work!

Hi Jon, nice to see you. Thanks!!

Love old schoolHeart

We finally got our engine parts in. Had the head rebuilt with new valves, seats, guides and resurfaced. New rod bushings. Last night we gave the engine a good cleaning and rolled the new main bearings in.
Today sleeves and pistons.
Thats my mechanic buddy Rick in the pic.Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Love old schoolHeart

How much work and expense was involved in the original swap?
I just put a rebuilt turbo on my 903 (low boost, oil seal leaks with blue smoke), it runs down the road great but still smokes white when warming up or cooling down.
Seems to be the nature of this beast.
It will be good for a while but I think a re-power is somewhere in the distant future.

Thanks

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"