You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

generator stalling when moving sometimes

hi all,

i had a problem that i fixed earlier this summer but thought you might be interested in it.

my genny would run all day long sitting still. however, on startup it would start, then pause like it was choking, then it would rev back up and be ok.

however, as soon as i would drive off with the genny running, it would shut power down. as we watched it more (thanks michael) it would come back on in 50 seconds (the power that is) and that was the time for the power monitor/protection system in the transfer switch would wait before starting the power back.

we found that the gennymotor was stalling just enough for the power to drop below the voltage level that was set in the power monitor such that it would turn off the power to the coach to protect it.

for both issues it ended up being the electric fuel pump mounted on the genny that has an internal check valve that was bad causing fuel to drain back and choke the genny for a brief moment.

i got a new one from powertech and took about 15 min to install and it fixed everthing.

http://powertech.myshopify.com/products/...-fuel-pump

i ordered it directly from powertech.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, not to drift off topic but, sometimes I also work just fine sitting still, then when Connie gets me moving I just kinda shut down. Maybe we should keep this remedy away from her!!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

matt, you are too funny. i think i do my best work sitting as well. in fact it is how i make a living..... ha

tom

well, my genny started stalling on startup and dieing down when driving again.

when we went for a drive with forest, it cut off several times.

when we got back i opened the genny compartment and smelled diesel really strong.

the incoming line to the new fuel pump was leaking alot.

so today i did a complete service on the genny. oil, oil filter, both fuel filters and i went and bought new 5/16" high pressure (for fuel injection) fuel line and replace the fuel lines on the genny.

it seems to have fixed it. must have been sucking air.

the fuel lines were cracked at the ends. steve bare reminded me that they suggest changing those fuel lines every few years. so, just keep an eye on them.

i also noticed the upper radiator hose is rubbing on a piece of metal and wearing. i need to replace it but the only identifying marks on it are 0A27 EBP D1 80MH2544

can not find it online. can find a couple of references to parts of the number.

it is preformed with a sharp 90 and then straight over to the thermostat.

anyone got a part number for the upper radiator hose on the powertech 20kw?

thanks

tom

Hope that fixed your problem Tom. I have a new one. The lock on the generator slide must have broken since I have no resistance when I pull the release knob. Does anyone know how that lock works? I know there's a access plate underneath and at the rear of the Gen compartment, but I don't know what I'll get into once I open it up.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Larry,
I believe it is just a cable to a spring loaded lock. Only have to pull the cable going out as the lock is beveled to allow it to automatically lock when it goes back in.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve. I believe my cable has broken. I guess I'll have to get under there and remove the plate on the back of the Gen comp and fix or replace. Oh well, just another chore to occupy my "extra" time

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Larry,

I would be interested in knowing how you fixed your broken cable that operates the lock on your generator slide. Specifically, were you able to access the lock thru an access door under the generator compartment?

My generator will not completely retract. It stops and hits something solid about 3 inches before it fully retracts.

I think it is hitting the locking mechanism. I think that the locking mechanism has slipped down about 1/2" and the track is hitting the locking mechanism instead of sliding under it and allowing the lock to seat down thru the hole in the channel iron.

Has anyone ever had this problem. If so, I would really like to hear how you fixed it.Huh

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

tuga,

once you block the coach after raising it, there is a panel on the back side of the genny compartment that comes off. then you have total access to the lock. it is just a latch that has an automotive choke cable on it. mine on the 90 got jammed and i had to get inside that panel to get it open and then i replaced the cable.

tom

Thanks Tom,

I looked under the generator compartment today, and all I could see was a metal scoop directly under the generator.

Is the access panel further aft?

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot