You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Tank leak !!

Hello,
We just left Indio,s Motor Coach Country Club and right now in Zion National Park in UT and heading more in to UT canyons after 5 days here in Zion River Resort
After parking our coach I heard whistling noise and noticed our air tank has big air leak!! I can locate buy placing my finger right in the center of the left side of the tank!looks like it will get larger and larger leak with time!
Is anyone here have replaced on their own, if so, what was the right order! disconnect both air ports , looks like in mine I would need to pull out the air fan motor right below case the tank is long and big around 20"x7" or so!

I checked with several trucks stops but with out much luck , plus we are on the road traveling!

What would you suggest to do ?

Can we drive with the leak and wait to get to bigger city to fix it? It looks like compressor keeps up with.

Also, I was thinking to just order on on line and replace myself since we are on the road !I found same size 3 gallon tank but with 3 1/2" ports !!! Can I just put 1/4" reducer on one port and for the relief Valve I am sure I can find the solution with right size!

Most of the tanks are rated for 120-150psi , would that work!
I send the email to Newell and see what I come up with but I figure I ask here as well!

Thanks,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

I replaced the tank with this one from Amazon. Tank came out with only taking off air lines and clamps. No other disassembly was required. New one was slightly longer, but worked fine. I also cut off their mounting brackets.

Your air leak is on the supply side, so it is supplied by the 110V compressor & engine compressor as you drive. Won't affect brake system.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC9...UTF8&psc=1

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I would replace the tank ASAP. I would think 150psi rating would work. You should be able to use bushings to reduce the 1/2" ports down to what ever size you need.

Thanks I will check them out I found some aluminum tanks with 3 1/2' ports high quality, mine looks big and not much room to get it out because the generator switch box and the dryer's motor blocking the entry! but I think I might be able to get it out...
Ebay is floated with the air tanks from 45-120$ but some of them have like 5 or more ports with wrong diameter holes.

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, in the meantime I would go to a auto parts house and buy a hose type clamp that will be large enough and find a piece of rubber. Put the rubber over the hole and clamp her tight. That might hold you until you can replace the tank. Just a thought.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

If its a pinhole you could use a self tapping screw with a gasket or sealer as a temporary fix til you find the right tank. a large hose clamp or a few rounds of duct tape would safen it if it blows.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If it's just a pinhole leak then JB Weld would also work temporarily. But it would still be best to replace it. Having more ports are not a problem, just plug the ones you don't need and use a bushing to reduce them to the same size.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks you all for the tips I wish I could plug it in or use tape, problem is that leak hole is on the end size and is sitting tight about half inch from the side wall of the bay, so pulling the entire tank and replacing will be best way to do it! I located tanks on line and will get one and just reduce one hole from 1/2" to correct size.
Right now we are parked , we turned off compressor and I a surprised that we have all air , door, bathroom works etc..

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

The 12 volt air compressor (located in bay near aquahot) pressures up the toilet, pocket doors, and most important the slide seals whenever the 120v air system is off.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thinking more about this if you were on the road and not able to fix it you could use hose to bypass the tank. Its just a volume tank. My coach doesn't have that tank.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337