You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Vista cellular shades

I have 8 sets of these in our coach. Last year Cindy replaced the cord on 1 set with Darlene and Elaines help. Well the cord on the same one broke again. Cindy and Darlene repaired it again. But while doing so we figured out why the cords are breaking. On the bottom rail there is an end cap with a brass bushing that the cord slides through as you raise or lower the shade. The brass piece is worn and has a groove that the cord is now passing through causing it to abrade and break. I plan to call Vista tomorrow and see if these end caps are available.
Since they fixed that one another one broke and the end caps are worn just like the other one.
So if you have problems check the end caps.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I repaired the one next to our dinner table. So far so good. The one at the end of the bed broke and I replaced it with a day night. The one that was there let in too much light at some parks. Forest, will be interested to know what you find out.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Good eye for looking for the root cause of a repeat failure. If the caps are not available you may have to engineer a small brass washer and fixate with epoxy. You could use a dremel tool to radius the washer.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Couple pictures of the end caps:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Look like brass eyelets. Get the kit at a good fabric store or Hobby Lobby. Tool 2 Brenda makes her own roman shades and uses them.

Jimmy

Good idea Jimmy. If Vista can't supply the end caps I'll look into doing that.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Let's think about this for a minute. Brass will just wear another groove and will have to eventually have another replacement. This sounds like a good reason to buy a mini lathe and make some out of unobtanium. We could heat treat them and make them as hard as Chinese arithmetic.

Of course Tom wouldn't take such an easy out, and he probably already is working on a source for ceramic eyelets.

Just being silly. I am officially retired in two more days and a wee giddy.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Congrats Richard!! I've got 9 mo. Laying low, staying off work groups n committees. But somehow they still find me!
A little beeswax would lube the cord...

Jimmy

i was thinking about stainless. and maybe a lathe.....

i have been retired a year and i am still a wee bit giddy

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Well I've been retired 4 years now and I'm just goofy. But happy!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337