You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Whatsnewell in South Dakota

Clarke and Elaine have arrived in our home town this weekend. We so enjoy spending time with them and hearing about their travels. We have had a couple of great dinners already with the Hockewalds. One was at a tiny but quaint place called Mama Lata's followed by desert at a national award winning pastry chefs place very near by. This evening my wife fixed us a fabulous meal of steak and swordfish. She is such a wonderful cook that I am spoiled.

Our lovely weather has taken a dive though as the wind has been a steady 20-30 MPH with a temperature that has now dropped and settled into the 40's. I are parked my coach next to Clarke's at the fairground camping area to work on projects and learn from the madter We did some outdoor projects today on the coaches until the rain chased us inside. Once inside though we did manage to stay productive and change out two of our electric heaters. I was glad to do this knowing they were both almost 30 years old and others had warned us to swap them out for safety reasons.

While we were changing the front heater inside the center counsel between the driver and passenger seats we found a switch and also some sort of plug that neither of us could identify. This is not unusual for me still being a newbie but even Clarke was stumped. I will try to upload some pics soon and we can play my favorite game of "can someone tell me what this is and what it does".

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

We really like Sioux Falls, and are so happy to be able to spend time here once again! Unfortunately the weather has not co-operated, but we are forging ahead with projects. With Todd's help I will be replacing all the felt in my windows. I got the old rear bumper off my coach and am getting ready to install the new one when the rain lets up. In about a week we will be heading west for Lake Tahoe along I-80 where today the east bound lanes near Rawlins, WY are closed due to blizzard conditions....yikes, hope it is better in a week!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Were looking at 20c this week, nice and sunny today. Rained and snowed all last week. Hope some of this nice weather is heading towards you guys.
Where did you find your window felt? I bought the last 30ft Newell had. I ordered some from peninsula glass, it is a bit different but hopefully will work. Original is 1/2" high and 3/8-7/16 wide. The felt I ordered is 5/16 high and 3/8 wide. Was 1.50ft.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Retro.....Todd had about 12' left from doing his windows which is good for one window basically....I was going to call Newell and buy some more, but see that will be futile now. Have you installed any of the felt from Peninsula? If so, did it work out okay as a substitute?

Clarke

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Hasnt come in yet Clark, I only ordered 30ft. Shipping cost more than the felt. Ill let you know how it works out.
Should be within the week

Love old schoolHeart

(04-29-2014, 03:31 PM)Retro Wrote:  Hasnt come in yet Clark, I only ordered 30ft. Shipping cost more than the felt. Ill let you know how it works out.
Should be within the week

Thank you so much....will await your report before ordering.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Well the widow felt came in today, it wasn't what I was expecting but I tried it in my window channel and I think it will work really well. It is made of soft rubber and has a layer of velvet like pile. It's indented on each side so it will fold there and still giving it some spring to stay there. I will have to punch a couple of weep holes in the bottom so the water can drain. $1.50ft.
Tim 360-892-2029 ext. 201 [email protected]
Good guy, very helpful

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Love old schoolHeart

Excellent! Thank you for the contact info.....we'll order tomorrow!

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Great, please keep us informed. I would like to replace mine as well this summer along with other upgrades.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch