You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

End link replacement causes problem

I replaced the drag link ends and tie rod ends on the dana ifs 84 suspension on 512. I felt free play at dead center in the steering at dead center and I could visibly observe movement in the drag ling ends. This suspension was also used on some country coaches and Henderson sells the parts. Yes, I know, I probably could have gotten them cheaper. I am providing the old parts to Ron Skeen and he can find a different source.

Here is the problem. On both 390 and 512 I always had a built in speed control. The coach would get out of its comfort zone somewhere between 66 and 68 mph. It was tactile feedback to decrease pressure applied by right foot.

Well, with the new steering links, the coach is composed up to 80. I stopped there because my speed alert alarm system (Rhonda) was activating.

I still have a minute amount of center free play. I would say 1 to 2 degrees. I have disassembled the steering column and it is NOT the u joints. They are tight. However I think it is the splined connection in the lower column. My setup has an adjustable length column to get from the top u joint to the steering box. I am gong to figure out how to remove that free play. I am thinking to tap and thread the outer column and uses a couple of bolts to tighten it up.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )