You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Delo 100 40W

Just wanted to share that O'Reilly Auto has Delo 100 40W for $12.99/Gallon! They may not stock it but had it in 1 day when I ordered it. If we get it from them maybe they will continue to stock it;
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&ppt=C0162

or Part # 100-40-1, Line CHV

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

(05-18-2014, 12:31 PM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Just wanted to share that O'Reilly Auto has Delo 100 40W for $12.99/Gallon! They may not stock it but had it in 1 day when I ordered it. If we get it from them maybe they will continue to stock it;

That's good to know Steve....O'Reilly's are everywhere. I got my last two gallons at West Marine, but they had to order from the warehouse....had it the next day.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(05-18-2014, 04:10 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  
(05-18-2014, 12:31 PM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Just wanted to share that O'Reilly Auto has Delo 100 40W for $12.99/Gallon! They may not stock it but had it in 1 day when I ordered it. If we get it from them maybe they will continue to stock it;

That's good to know Steve....O'Reilly's are everywhere. I got my last two gallons at West Marine, but they had to order from the warehouse....had it the next day.

I have been getting mine form West Marine as well but they are now at $23.00/Gallon! that is why I posted this! $12.99/Gallon at O'Rielly Auto Saves us about $10.00/Gallon. Worth supporting them at a savings of about $10.00/Gallon!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

This message is to let everyone know of a trial I'm doing that goes against all the mantra of single weight engine oil. I'm running Rotella full synthetic T-6 5-w-40 oil in my two stroke 8V92 1993 engine this season. Looking at the specs from Detroit Diesel for approved oil the T6 seems to meet all of them. The critical ones seem to be low sulphated ash and high shear viscosity. I was told that if I made this change my oil consumption would skyrocket. I just made a 2000 mile trip and so far I can detect no consumption at all. At the end of this year I will sample the oil and see what has happened to it over the year. I will post my results on this forum.

There is currently no way to certify new oils for our two strokes and there is no standard way to verify that oils originally certified and approved for these engines still are valid. The reason being that the sole engine used to test these oils has died and will not be replaced. As such there is no way to prove existing certified oils are still good except for meeting the physical specs that T6 also meets. Oil technology has changed a lot recently and I think it's possible that modern lubricants may meet our needs even if unable to be certified for our engine and I'm going to try to find out. If the short term test pans out favorably then in future years I'll pull random (read that as easily accessible) air box covers and inspect the ring grooves on the pistons for ash buildup. We'll see.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(05-18-2014, 06:46 PM)prairieschooner Wrote:  
(05-18-2014, 04:10 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  

I have been getting mine form West Marine as well but they are now at $23.00/Gallon! that is why I posted this! $12.99/Gallon at O'Rielly Auto Saves us about $10.00/Gallon. Worth supporting them at a savings of about $10.00/Gallon!

Even better Steve!!

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

the fella that purchased my previous coach which has the 8v92 put in, for whatever unknown reason- 15x 30. has leaks everywhere. He did not use synthetic and I'll be curious as to your results

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

I run into general diesel mechanics all the time who swear you can run multi grade in series 92 engines, and it is not surprising to hear that the 8V92 now is now leaking everywhere after running multi grade. I hope this experiment does not result in costly damage, and will be waiting to hear the results. Personally, I don't see the point......while the single weight is a little harder to come by it just requires a little advance planning. The coach runs well on single weight, and the more miles I log the less it uses. The true, experienced 2 stroke mechanics all know better....."that's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it" as Wally has often said.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

It is my understanding that Delo 100 40w was designed specifically for the Detroit two stroke engine. For many years that is all I would run in my boat engines with good success.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hope they're not just dumping inventory....

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Chester: to the best of my knowledge you are correct.

Clarke: Normal multigrade oils do not meet the specifications defined by Detroit Diesel and there is experience that shows ash buildup in the ring grooves and accelerated wear attributed to inadequate shear viscosity. Since every manufacturer using the same sealing and gasket materials I'm at a loss to explain high leakage rates; high consumption certainly due to the breakdown of the oil's viscosity under shear stress, but not leakage.

My plan is to test the synthetic at the end of the season and once I have the results I suspect it will show that the oil has plenty of life left and I run it for another year. If this turns out to be the case, and I'll report whatever happens, it will cost me less than using single weight oil and there will be less oil to recycle.

I realize that conventional wisdom is that using any oil other than single weight will quickly kill a DD two stroke. Oil technology has changed and unless someone checks it out we will never know what we could have done. So far I'm not seeing the predicted jump in oil consumption, it may even be lower. Still, I'm going to proceed with monitoring and caution.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed