You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

LF tire blow out

As a survivor of a LF tire blow out I take this very seriously. I post this as a reminder to not take chances with your tires & check them often. Both of these folks survived, but had serious injuries.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Wow any idea what manufacture was on that coach and what it impacted with?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

The tire manufacturer was not designated nor was what was impacted. In my case we left the roadway over a 4' high culvert. Luckily I landed in a sand median and not a fence. My coach took $52,000 to repair it. My tire was a Toyo and only two years old.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Was that the photo?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

That was the photo of a couple in So Carolina.

This is what mine looked like.............................

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I also had a Toyo experience. Country Coach had a recall on my front tires and wheels which they replaced with Toyo tires. In less than 15,000 miles, the left front blew at 45 MPH. A few weeks later, the right front blew on I-10 at 70 MPH. Fortunately minor damage to the wheel wells and no one was hurt. Toyo would not honor their warranty because I did not save the blown tires which were nothing but big balls of sharp steel. Because of the difficulty of controlling the coach, my wife would never drive it again. I tell this story every time someone mentions Toyo tires.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

The money grubbing penny pinching MBAs that purchased Country Coach specified Toyo tires that would carry the front axle only at MAX pressure and then with NO safety factor. So any stress put the tire in trouble from the get go.

The experience with Country Coach caused Toyo to abandon its RV program, no longer having a RV rep with 800 number, no longer attending large rallies and no RV oriented advertising.

I have seen at least 4 Michelin front tire blow outs in for many thousands of dollars of repair in Nacogdoches at the Foretravel repair facilities there. Michelin's position is usually the tire was run overloaded or under pressure. I have also noticed that Newell has stepped up the load carrying capacity of it front tires more than any production manufacturer.

My two sets of Toyo's performed fine for me but then I have plenty of extra carry capacity at the pressures I run.

I really like the Hankooks I have on my coach now. But like one of my RV friends says, buy what makes your heart smile.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy,
Just to clarify history. Country Coach did use Toyo tires that were rated for the weight. The flaw was that Toyo rated the tire at 75 mph. After many tread separations, including mine, the tire was derated to 65 mph. Toyo, as part of the settlement with Country Coach, bought me a full set of Michelins. I was traveling at 68 mph when the tread separated from the carcass. The worst part was the coach went down on its basement framing which made steering impossible.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The guy i sold my Newell to lost the L/F between Hebert & Hollebrook AZ @ 70+ he was able to maintain control n little damage. I had mentioned that when the coach was mfg'd the national speed limit was 60 n should plan for that... It was a Goodyear n about 3 years old. So I plan slow. But that doesn't always work ......

Jimmy

Steve,

You have stated my point precisely. A tire that is good at 65 mph but bad at 68 mph has no safety margin. Country Coach did not specify enough tire for the application. But I do agree it did meet spec, barley.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area