You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

When to run or not run AquaHot

If I only need hot water once every two days, should the AquaHot be left on all of the time on only when hot water is needed? The question pertains to what is best for the life of the unit but also which uses the least amount of diesel. Is there a trade off?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

More use is better on the diesel burner. Many problems are the result of under usage. Use of electric is based on who is paying the bill.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Chester,

If you could leave only the 120 vac element on and turn off the 240 vac electric element and run the A/Cs that would give instant hot water and no diesel used. NOT possible unless your coach is modified to do this.

So, leave all AH switches off till you need hot water. Turn on either electric if you can do without A/C or diesel, your choice.

In the mean time, run the diesel burner through one heating cycle per month to keep fresh diesel on the nozzle. If diesel sits long enough, it will start to dry creating a need to service the burner.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Since we're full timing and currently in Louisiana and need air conditioning 24/7 here's what we do: First thing in the morning while coffee's brewing I turn on electric aqua hot for about 1/2 hour. That gives us enough hot water for 2 showers or whatever else all morning. Then at night either turn on electric or diesel if we take showers at night.
I find that once the temperature is 200 degrees or so then turn off the aqua hot we will have enough hot water for 2 good showers.
I treat the diesel aqua hot similar to the generator. Run at least once a month whether needed or not.
Now in winter or cooler climates if electricity is "free" we leave it on electric. If not then do the same as above.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks, this is the information I needed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Turn on elc in morning off after showers, never turn it on till next morning, run diesel once a month.

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

run on diesel everyday .. turn on 15 min before shower and turn off when finished.water will stay hot all day... only use electric when using the heat and never otherwise.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I do the same as Larry. Water takes a long time to cool off. And if one wants to get hot water really fast, cut both electric and diesel on at the same time.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I do not have a two way electrical switch, and I think I will use the diesel in the way Larry and Chappell suggest. Thanks to all for responding.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey