You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

electric steps

when we were at newell, the new electric steps they use now are solid as a rock. does anyone know the brand of the steps they use now?

brand and part number?

i have to replace my steps again. when i had it at the dyno place they somehow crunched the brand new steps i had just put on.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It is manufactured by Braund, a division of Barker Manufacturing. The model is Executive. Just for info I inquired about changing from the Kwikee step to the Executive & Newell's estimate was $5,500.00. It is VERY nice! Doesn't just bolt up like the Kwikee, It is welded in--therefore it is more solid. PPL has the best price on Kwikee steps.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

there is a web site for barker manufacturing that shows some braund stuff, but for sure no electric rv steps or steps of any kind for that matter. they have a bunch of other rv stuff but no steps.

cant find anything online either.

i went ahead and ordered another set of steps from PPL.

tom

So instead of ripping the steps off or bending them up, what happens to wielded typeIdea during the next case of "I don't know what happened"

Suppose once installed the insurance carrier would cover future damages to steps, coach, siding, tow car, street curb, neighbors house etc.!!Confused

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

You might find that Newell owns the proprietary rights to the "Executive step".

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i think that is the case because you cannot find it anywhere.

tom

My Country Coach was the same way. Kwikee made the step for them, but you couldn't buy it except through CC. Once CC went out of business, Kwikee now sells the step.

At least you'll have some spare parts.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

matt is right. if they did get bent after being welded in with gold (which it must be to be over 5000 bucks), then you would have to have an insurance claim to afford fixing them.

i am sticking with the original kind. maybe i will do gold pinstriping on them instead....

tom

Gang,

I have finally found a thread that I am qualified to reply to. I had Newell change out my Quickee steps to the Braun step.

In order to replace the step, they have to take out the old step, cut out the bottom of coach and reframe the hole that is left. (Lots of cutting and some welding).

The new step is a Braun Executive step. Any Braun distributor can get the step, but the installation is rather involved. There are really two key differences between the Quikee and the Braun. First of all the new steps are much more stable. They feel like you are walking up concrete steps. No movement at all. Simply amazing. The other key difference is that the Braun steps are designed to be "hidden". That is there is a metal bottom that folds up when the steps come in to hide the steps themselves.

In my case, Newell removed my old steps, installed the new steps, fabricated the metal trip pieces to duplicate the rest of coach, and finally they painted the new metal outside piece to match the rest of coach. When the step is "in" you cannot see any steps. Much more streamlined looking.

Steve, you should have "hit" on that estimate! I think that my steps were north of $7K. But even at that price, it is my favorite upgrade on my coach.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Ya I can't see myself spending that sort of money for steps. The guy who slid under the coach in Lubbock and looked said the electric motor and gears were shot because he could easily move the arm I think back and forth. He said its easier to just get a whole new step. So Tom where do you find these? I think you referenced a place in a thread.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota