You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front Airbag

Thursday, I drove the coach to Southern Tire Mart for 6 Bridgestone 11R24.5 H rates tires (fronts were changed out about 3 years ago with Michelin 305/75R24.5). Leaving their facility, I heard a pop that I had not heard before but it wasn't very loud. As I drove away, I noticed that the air pressure was running about 90 psi so I started focusing on that. I just wasn't building up pressure with any authority. I circled back to the commercial truck tire shop and their mechanic and I determined that I had a hole in the right rear air spring on the steering axle that was leaking air as fast as the engine driven air compressor could produce it.

I called Chuck Clark, Newell's Parts Manager, and he ask how many lower mounting studs the airbag had (one) and if the airline came in through one of the upper studs or separately (separately). Based on that, he determined that the current Goodyear replacement airbag was R/W 1003589447C Steer. As it was mid afternoon on Thursday, I asked if he could ship it overnight, early delivery. Chuck had it ready to go within 15 minutes he had one packed up and ready to ship out. FedEx delivered it Friday morning at 8:45 and Southern Tire had me out by noon.

After all the horror stories of folks being stranded on the side of the road due to an airbag failure, I just wanted to provide the best of circumstances for a failure. Newell having the bag in stock and ready to ship, Chuck's outstanding knowledge in identifying the specific airbag and his willingness to get it out immediately (1.5 hours before the tire store closed) and FedEx delivered it 1 hour and 15 minutes after the tire store opened the next morning. Therefore, I only experience a 2 hours and 45 minutes total time delay that the shop was open to get the correct part from Oklahoma.

I will be heading to Newell immediately after the rally for additional airbag replacements as well as the service I had already scheduled.

The knowledge and dedication of the staff and management of Newell is a strong reason for owning a Newell. A special thanks to Chuck.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,
My experience with Newell is similar to yours. When you really need something they come through. A BIG reason to own a Newell!!!!!!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I've got an appointment with Newell Monday the 16th and one of the things I want them to check is my airbags. If they say they are OK, I don't know weather of not to insist for them to replace them. I will just trust their judgement.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappel I will be there on the 17th day after you

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

We are scheduled at Newell for 16th. Sounds like a mini rally before the rally!

My experience with Newell mirrors others comments. In my case I insisted on the airbags being replaced. They said I didn't need them....but in the end I prevailed. The result was an immediate increase in normal air pressure, along with the peace of mind knowing they won't go out in the near future. (ahem)

So far two of the new ones have failed! One on the drive axle and one on the tag. (Not catastrophic fails). Just air leaks at the top seam.

So, I am left with the nagging thought that any of the bags can fail at any time. Oh well!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

We plan to arrive sometime Sunday evening. It is about an 8 hour drive from Nacogdoches. We will probably be there for several days. The gaps on my slides are much smaller at the bottom than at the top??? I am having them checked out.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

We might be there on the 19th. Cindy is planning to take driving lessons. That'll be great, might increase our daily drives to, oh, maybe 270 miles!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

20 plus years I think is pretty good. I know on the Prevost blog the common preventative replacement schedule is 10 years. May be a little early I have never heard of anyone actually blowing an air bag is it common in 20 plus year old bags? Interested to see what Newell recommends for replacement. No one likes to be down on the side of the road. Bluebird told me I could ride on a flat bag for a couple hundred miles would be rough but could be done, is that the same with Newell?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I am scheduled at Camp Newell for July 7th. Anyone else?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica