You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Radiator overflow tank sight tube

I thought I would make a thread for this subject. As background I got some clear polycarbonate tubing from Amazon. It is the same od & id as the original radiator overflow tank sight tube. The same tube cap fits in the new tubing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OM9...UTF8&psc=1

Tom had mentioned that the overflow tank company owner said that the sight tube required some extra work. When I removed the tube I see what was being referred to. The 1/2" od will not fit into the black vinyl hosing as it is too big. Therefore he tapered down the end to fit.

Using an open flame I heated one end of my tube and shaped it in a vise. I put a drill bit into the tube so I didn't collapse & block off the tube. I used a drill bit that matched his final hole. Mine did not come out as pretty, but it did slip into the black vinyl hosing. I clamped it and it has passed a 4 hr leak test. Now I'll have to see if it passes the operational test when we go out and hold up to the vibration.

Some one may have experience forming this material and have a better way of forming the tubing. If so please provide suggestions.

Now you know the rest of the story and can decide if you want to experiment as I have or buy a ready made set up. If some one wants to try their own experiment I can bring most of the necessary tools to the rally. The only thing I don't have is a portable vise.

I attached some photos.....................

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, when I got one from Newell the tube was not tapered. It was square cut on both ends and had the black hose with two clamps. I just pushed the hose on and clamped it. I thought it strange it was like the one that broke, but everything fit and has not leaked.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

They must be using a different hose. With the original hose the tube would not push in--just too big.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Unless some one has a better way to taper the tubing, I'm thinking that a better way to go is to adapt the 3/8" id black hose to a 1/2" id hose using an adapter. Then the tubing would fit into the 1/2' id hose. Would require two extra clamps, but this line is not under pressure.

This adapter should work----
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&ppt=C0108

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Why would not a smaller plastic tube work. Is there a reason for the size it is? Say maybe a tube the size of the one that comes out the bottom of the reservoir. Steve my old black hose was really brittle.
Forest I found the old black top cap for the sight tube if you want it. Will bring to rally.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

That is why my thought would be to change out the vinyl black hosing, use an adapter and use the 1/2" tube. That way you don't have to redo the mounting. Cost would be $7-$8 for some hosing, two clamps & the adapter.

If you want to go with the smaller tubing.......here it is

http://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-Tubi...g+1%2F4+id

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, Also if one went to a smaller tube the size of the one on the bottom of the reservoir you could use one of those plastic inserts that one uses to hold a screw in sheet rock for a dust cover. They come in all sizes.
I think Newell uses the larger tube because it is easier seen. Just a thought.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Seems like lots of options over paying $40 to $60

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I agree Steve, and what you did was probably the best way. Putting an adapter on the end is a good idea but you heating the tube and putting a taper on it means less parts which is always the best. As you said there is no pressure here.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I am counting on Tom to buy one for me since I not longer have the cap for the top.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica