You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Dryer

I finally finished the maintenance on my Foretravel late this afternoon in Nacogdoches. The maintenance folks moved the coach to where it can spend the night and then head for the lake Sat morning. When I went inside, I was low on air pressure and not building up air pressure at all.

After some phone calls and trouble shooting I discovered the pop off valve of the air dryer was venting air continuously. With the engine off, I slid under and using my flashlight to see, I pushed up on the bolt in the center of the pop off vent and felt it move up into its seat.

Restarted the engine, pressure came up normally and popped off at max pressure. Pumped the brakes to drain air pressure and engage the compressor and again normal build up and pop off at max pressure. Pressure continued to hold.

I will drive the coach tomorrow to get the local tire place to inspect the coach and install some hub cover mounting rings under the wheel lug nuts thus exercising the air system.

Question is, if all continues well, do I head for the lake as planned or do I wait till Monday when I have folks that will rebuild the dryer and arrive at the lake on Tuesday?

Thanks for your consul.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

i dont know which air dryer you have. the one on my 90 (bills) i rebuilt for a bout 30 bucks and an hour or so.

point is i dont think it would be hard to do.

it is just sticky and might have had a piece of dirt or something in it. it might not even do it again, but no way to tell for sure. i would probably just go, but i am pretty gutsy about that kind of stuff.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Your call Rudy. If you are uncomfortable with the situation, the piece of mind might be worth the wait. If you are going to be delayed, let the RV Resort know.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Rudy,

You've probably got a Bendix AD-9 drier. You should be able to locally source a pop off valve. Iirc, it's only 3 bolts and is easy to swap out. Worst case, you get a service kit for it, which should be the element, valve and gaskets/o-rings and just do the valve.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Haldex brand. Thanks for the hint.

Wonder if auto parts has the valve or rebuild kit?

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

any big truck parts house will have them. i do not believe an autoparts place will, but who knows

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was able to purchase a new governor to have with me. Dryer parts will need to be ordered. Perhaps I can get advisory help cleaning the pop off valve while at the lake.

The valve continues to perform correctly so I am with Tom on this and took off. All has gone well. Stopped south of Little Rock. Should arrive Sunday afternoon. See you all then.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area