You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Let's Play "what do these do and when should I use them"

About a 1/3 of the switches on my coach perplex me as to their function. Can you guys opine on the not so obvious ones for me? Can't figure out how to attach pics with the IPhone so I will do that in a bit with a computer or IPad. Thanks as always.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

hi todd,

once you post pictures we can walk you through all of them. steve and clarke will be the most current on them but others here have had similar coaches. and the function of the switches is pretty similar.

though newell tended to change the name of the switch even though it does the same thing. the merge switch on my 90 is called merge switch. on my 2002 it is called emergency start.

watch out for the ejector seat one. darlene didnt appreciate the first time i sent her skyward....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Based on your coach, Steve and Clarke would be the go to guys but with a photo any of us can provide some enlightenment.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Looking forward to the pictures Todd....no one appreciates this game more than me. There were many switches on mine I had no idea what they did, and there are a few I still don't know about, but I know what 98% of them do now.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(09-01-2012, 11:29 AM)encantotom Wrote:  hi todd,

once you post pictures we can walk you through all of them. steve and clarke will be the most current on them but others here have had similar coaches. and the function of the switches is pretty similar.

though newell tended to change the name of the switch even though it does the same thing. the merge switch on my 90 is called merge switch. on my 2002 it is called emergency start.

watch out for the ejector seat one. darlene didnt appreciate the first time i sent her skyward....

tom
Mine is labeled "SureStart" sometimes Ron Skeen calls it "Dump"

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

hi todd,

take the pictures with your iphone and send them to me. i will post them for you.

also, let me know if you discovered anything about the generator issues you were having friday nite.

later

tom

(09-02-2012, 11:19 AM)encantotom Wrote:  hi todd,

take the pictures with your iphone and send them to me. i will post them for you.

also, let me know if you discovered anything about the generator issues you were having friday nite.

later

tom

Will do. Just getting back to the lake right now from dropping my son at college. Be to you within the hour.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

here are the pictures of switches from todd's coach. so everyone jump in and help with telling him what they all are. some are already puzzling to me.

tom

ok, i will start.

switch labeled horns....city, air i am sure that one is obvious.... in city position it is the regular car style 12vdc horns. in air....you should sound like the horn of a freight train. horns are usually located either on top of coach (where my 90 has them) or underneath the front cap somewhere (where my 2002 has them)

battery merge on. off. on this one is usually in the center position of "off" that keeps the two banks of batteries isolated from each other. if one set or the other is dead (meaning you either cant start the coach engine or the genny( then you flip it until you have power to start either. one way uses the coach batteries to power the merge solenoid to combine the two battery banks and the other position uses the starting batteries to power the merge solenoid to combine the batteries. that way you can power the merge solenoid no matter which of the two banks is low or dead. not good if you have both sets bad or low.

left and right docking lights. there are lights somewhere around the rear wheels on each side to help light up the area when you are parking or getting set up at a campground or for any other reason you want lights down low on each side in the back. my 90 had a single docking light switch but NO lights. my 2002 has a single docking light and lights between the tag and drive wheels right above the fender flare .

shoreline and generator switch you have already figured out is your transfer switch to go between shorepower and genny power.

ceiling and aisle lights are exactly that. since they are both 3 ways, there is another switch for each of them somewhere likely by the door etc.

air compressor.....to turn on a 110v air compressor that is somewhere up front in a bay or genny compartment. to power your air devices when parked.

someone elses turn now i did the easy ones. ones you probably already knew

tom

Tom, you got them all identified....no mysteries here.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com