You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore power during storm

Guru's, am plugged in to 50 amp here in Lake of the Ozarks and a good size thunderstorm passed through and since I don't have a working generator I ran out and shut off the breaker for shore power during the lightning as I seem to recall you all telling me last year to switch to genny power during storm to prevent possible massive electrical surge that could fry electrical system in the coach. Please confirm this is the right thing to do and also, doesn't the surge protector cover us for this? I took no chances but sure would like to know if I need to do this every time we have lightning in the area.

Thanks

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Bill, unplugging is the safest thing to do. I had lightning take out a couple of breakers in my power panel in a previous (non-Newell) motorhome. As the frequency, proximity and severity of lightning increases, so do the chances you could suffer electrical damage by being plugged into shorepower.

I have to admit that I am not very good about disconnecting during storms but I certainly think it is the safer way to proceed, especially if you have any concerns about potential damage.

P.S. Our new members Doug and Rose (Rambler) have the big brother to your coach. Same paint, just 2 years newer and 2 feet longer.

[Image: 295_photo.jpg]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

BTW... Many had power problems at the Blue Eye ORA. Turns out my A/C was fried and Chappell had A/C on and off and lost an orange light on the power panel. Gary had issues with the post and plugged next door. I think that all should beware of poorly maintained elec and use the gen-set when ever suspect.

Bill, you don't need to unplug once you have your gen-set running properly as the transfer switching over to genset power removes the majority of risk staying plugged in as the shore circuit is now broken...

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Last year @ Twin Fountians we had a strike to the power pole across from the campground. It took out the electric for Eveyone.. I was plugged in it took out my transfer switch and one TV.

Jimmy

Unplugging is the only way to prevent a direct strike on the power pole from damaging your rig. The full power of a strike can easily jump across breakers and relays.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Just want to support Michael here a little bit as an electrical engineer. A close lightning strike will have no trouble at all jumping breakers and contractors. If you want a real level of protection, do as he says and pull the plug. Remember, don't wait until the lightning is close and decide it's time to plug the plug and expose yourself. Unplug early and get inside your coach as it makes a great shield for your personal safety.

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Hey bill, how long are you gonna be at lake of the ozarks

One other question, I popped the main breaker coming into the coach a couple of times when I had everything going. The pole breaker was fine.. Is that unusual?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

is it a 50a breaker in the coach?

breakers trip for 3 reasons. (my version)

1. a hard short. breaker curves allow for many times over the rating for a short time. like milliseconds to a few seconds. that happens when motors start. other loads are typically pretty steady from start to run. (lights, tv etc)

2. just plain ol running too much stuff. could be a 4th air con kicked on when you were running alot of other stuff, like the air compressor, the water pump, etc. if you draw over the breaker rating for enough time, either the coach main or the pedastal breaker will trip

3. breaker getting weak. does happen over time, but usually a very long time. and when it gets turned on and off a bit more than usual.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

One other thing about breakers, they are suppose to be cycled (off,on) annually. FWIW.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Thanks for all the info and I am definitely going to unplug regardless of how unpleasant it can be inside without air. Once I get the stator fixed on the generator I can fire genny up but that will not be on this trip. I thank you all for educating me on a daily basis and hope one day I can pay it forward.
Marc, we pull out early Friday for Iowa City and we are staying at Ft. Leonardwood's recreational facility here. They had one pull thu that would accommodate us without having to drop the trailer.

Travel Safe

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT