You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 engine temps too high

Looking at Richards #'s for his series 60 and talking with others I feel my engine and cooling system has a problem. I'm towing 6500 #. Climbing some of the hills going to the rally my engine temp got up to 216 once, other times it got to 208, 210. Once we left and headed north on 65 I kept the speed down to 58 and the temps were a little cooler. But as we drove on I-70 to Salina and the ambient temp got to 100 the engine was running anywhere from 198 to 212 on the hills. I did have to change the fuel filter Monday afternoon since it was plugged. Tuesday we continued to Colorado and the ambient temps were 70-80 and the engine temps ran cooler, from 193 to 208 on the harder hills.
I'll occasionally see the engine temp go from 198 to 205 even on flat ground.
So where do I start? Should I have the thermostats changed first?
Get the radiator flushed and refilled?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, my first suggestion would be to have the radiator steam cleaned on the outside. If this hasn't been done in a while oil, road dirt and other gunk can accumulate on the radiator and reduce the air flow. Secondly, when the engine is hot, I would start and the top left corner of the radiator with an infrared thermometer and go side to side then drop down an inch or two and make a pass the opposite direction until you get to the bottom of the radiator. You should see pretty uniform temps across the radiator and see the temperature slowly dropping as you get further down the radiator. If you don't see at least a 20 degree temperature difference between the top and the bottom of the radiator or if you see concentrated hot spots or cold spots you may need to have your radiator rodded to remove obstruction in the core.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Simple Green sprayed on the radiator first and let sit for 5 minutes and use a pressure washer or strong hose pressure and clean it until the waste water turns from mud to clear. do the little one up front in the compressor bay the same way. no need for a steam cleaning or degreaser when using simple green. Just don't leave on painted surfaces for a long time in the sun.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Careful when spraying the radiator, even a strong hose can bend the fins if applied incorrectly.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Forest, are you talking oil temps or radiator temps? My coach routinely gets into the 210 mark on oil temp, but rarely gets over 185 on radiator temp. Transmission is a whole different matter. When in stop and go traffic it gets much hotter. There are fans in front of transmission but I am not sure if there is a radiator there or not.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Engine coolant temps.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Strictly my opinion, but the temps do not seem to high to me pulling 6,500# in Colorado foothills. The transmission will get much hotter when going downhill using the jake, and the transmission is designed to run much hotter, especially with synthetics. All I would do is steam clean the radiator, not high pressure spray.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

When washing or steaming the rad I find it helpful to run the engine at high idle when washing, it will help to suck the water through the fins

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Forest check the air cleaner filter, if dirty engine will run hot.

Hey Forrest your temps aren't bad, call mike at Newell, I ran as high as 218 even 219 pulling the stacker up some steep hills to and from the rally, since I had an overheating issue when I first bought the coach I asked numerous questions, I believe 220 is when you will get a check engine light and 225 when you get stop engine.. I've seen both.. When I got 219 going up the hill I was worried, but on the other side going down I was as low as 194 and that was in a 95 degree day

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701