You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Hybrid over heating issue

Cc:

On mine it was the rubber rings around the copper rods running down the sleeves

Sounds like yours was the same MO

Update: The 10-14 day turn around for Stewart Stevenson has long ago come and gone. The first major delay was back order on reman heads until Aug 14. One came in Aug 13. As of yesterday, DD e-mailed Stewart Stevenson that they had no idea when they could provide the 2nd head. (not 2 weeks to a month, NO idea when if ever). Stewart Stevenson is going to rebuild the old head at their facility in Wichita Falls. Not sure why this wasn't done a month ago. They are still waiting on parts to rebuild the head though. The warranty will be just like reman 1 yr parts & labor. I asked if the warranty is really worth anything though as they can't get parts when I'm being billed for them, why would I think they would be faster when they are paying for them. It looks like we MAY have coach back running by mid September now. Unless something drastically different occurs between now & then, I will NEVER get another 8V92 rebuilt by a DD distributor. El Paso did say they would do in & out labor on an engine I purchased somewhere else. I was leaning towards PC Industries in Afton, WY but decided to let Stewart & Stevenson keep it in house since promised turn around was the same. NEVER again. DD should have the courtesy to tell us old 2 stroke owners they are no longer supporting the platform. At least Microsoft is upfront in that regard re: Windows 98 & older. Also was told that Stewart & Stevenson now owns W.W. Williams DD distributor. (Maybe that explains Ron's less than stellar recent experience)

That is a bummer Clint. Good information to keep in mind though.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My only other thought was that since 8V92's are still being manufactured new for military, is that perhaps DOD put a hold on all new & reman engines & assemblies from DD factory for; your guess is as good as mine. But it seems to me that the other than OEM re-builders are now providing superior parts support for the 8V92 platform as compared to DD. Supposedly there are still over 800K 2 strokes ( I think this includes the 71 & 53 series) still in service domestically. From my research there is still good parts & assembly availability, just not from DD directly. So I won't have to join Kieth just yet in drinking the Cummins Koolaid!

Also was told that Stewart & Stevenson now owns W.W. Williams DD distributor. (Maybe that explains Ron's less than stellar recent experience)
that's not good news

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Update: I have been told that our engine has been shipped from Wichita Falls to El Paso to be put back in the coach. They said it was test run prior to shipping. I hope direction of rotation is correct! The 10 days to 2 weeks for turn around has been greatly exceeded. Not to mention the " we will have it back together & running (engine that is) in 2 days after we get all parts in. Hopefully El Paso will be closer on their promise of 3 days to put it back in. Coach was towed in to El Paso 7/3/14." Newell held hostage" day 69!

Back when we were rebuilding engines we used Interstate McBee. Their parts were of excellent quality.

Since there seemed to be some question as to the availability of DD parts, I thought this link might be helpful.

http://www.interstate-mcbee.com/

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thank you Gordan

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Update: Newell held hostage day 77. The engine finally got back to El Paso last Thursday. The 3 day install may be done this afternoon. But who knows for sure. The manager in El Paso said there is a "filter/drain" somewhere on right side of engine that has not been serviced regularly. Not sure what he is talking about but will try to get some pics in case there are other 8V92 owners also unaware of this. As luck would have it, we have not had rain at the house for at least the last 76 days. It started raining last night and has rained all morning so far. If it keeps this up, we may be at Walmart with the coach for a couple of days while our dirt road & driveway dry out some.

Best of luck getting your coach back in your possession and everything in top working condition!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com