You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Hybrid over heating issue

Update: Newell held hostage day 82. We arrived at 2 pm for the test drive. Coach would not build air pressure past the red "low air" light on dash. After a brief inspection I discovered that the 110V Gast compressor was leaking on the back head. We plugged the air discharge and had good air pressure. Warranty on Gast is another matter pending with Grainger. Test drive went OK. When we got back to the shop, negotiations began in earnest. The were some core charge credits that had been left off the invoice. Also a couple of items had been double billed. Approximately 4:50pm local time we came to a settlement although I did express my continuing dissatisfaction the the Stewart & Stevenson organization as a whole. The manager in El Paso seems to be the only one somewhat understanding of my disappointment. He has made an effort to smooth out my ruffled feathers but seems to get shot down by others higher up or with more authority in the organization. I wrote them a check which the cashier promptly declined. He could give no explanation for why it was declined, just that it was declined by Stewart & Stevenson. Another wasted trip to El Paso! At this point I am undecided as to whether to take a chance on having a Cashier's Check from the same bank being declined for no explanation and making another wasted trip, or taking down a suitcase. Suitcase filled with loose change 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's. If you think I am now a bit "p***** off" you could be a spokesman for Hotels.com (Captain Obvious)

As a quick aside, I verified with my bank that there is WAY more than sufficient funds in the particular account to clear the check. It was definitely not a decline on the part of my bank.

Make them take a credit card. They'll at least have to pay the fees on the transaction!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I agree that the credit card is the best payment option. But it *could* be the bank. Many banks have instituted fraud mitigation groups who have the philosophy....."Decline it and if is is valid, I am sure they will call".

My American Express card has been declined many times....It freaked me out the first couple of times...Now I simply call and tell them the issue and they always say..."Tell them to run it again and it will work". It always does on the second try.

My sympathies are with you for all the troubles you have had.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have that decline issue at my home fuel stop. It's less than a mile from the house and they (I assume the fuel stop) has a $300 limit. So they allow me to pump 3 times and then come in to pay. Invariably, the first one gets denied. I have fussed and fussed at Citibank, without any luck. I have to call each time.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Be aware, the banks are not protecting you, they are protecting themselves. Relent and give them a cashier's check, and be done with it. If necessary, a wire transfer. It is simply not worth the hassle.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I'm with Chester. Wire the funds as they must accept that and write a couple of letters to the SS & DD Presidents and post your experience on there website and DD blogs. Mention as many names as you can. This may get you a few bucks back or at least you should be entitled to a big apology. So sorry to hear that on top of the massive breakdown that SS is taking advantage of it in a real bad way. The good thing here is that I will never step foot in another SS location again because of this and there are plenty of other good large shops to go to.....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Update: Ransom paid hostage is back home in our garage. I had my banker call Stewart Stevenson while I was in his office this morning. He stated that they NEVER called the bank. The would would have certainly OK'd the check had they called. Next he offered a letter of credit & guarantee for the check. No dice. By this time he was also p*****. "I think we should pack the suitcase" was his remark. Stewart Stevenson said they would call back to acknowledge if it would be acceptable for a "cashier's check". The call did not come. The banker had the girls in the back start preparations to pack the suitcase. The only issue was; this is a small town bank & it is fair weekend. The supply of 1$ bills was a bit tight. It would require most of the cash to be in 20$. I called Stewart Stevenson as one last effort to get the issue resolved. I told them time was getting short & I needed to know whether to bring a "cashiers check" or suitcase full of cash. He said he thought a "cashiers check" would work. I told him I would be in El Paso with one or the other not sure which. The banker said he could get all 1$ for next week if I wanted. We then drove to Stewart Stevenson in El Paso. The look we got was priceless when we walked in with my briefcase in hand. I asked the manager "do you want your money here in your office or out in cashiers counter?" I oppened the briefcase & handed him the "cashier's check" and informed him that if there was a problem with it I would be back next Thursday with 2K in nickles, 2K in dimes, 2K in quarters and the balance in 1$ bills. ( a tad north of 20K total). They accepted the check. The manager tried to apologize & explain that his hands were tied by the new central authority structure of Stewart Stevenson. I told him if that is true he needs to be given authority from upper management to make decisions at the branch office level & have them stand behind his judgement. At any rate the engine ran & sounded great on the way home. I am preparing to pen letters to FMCA & Good Sam. I think I will follow your suggestions & include CEO's of SS & DD. Thank you all for your support in this matter, and tolerating my occasional "venting". Once again I just want to be perfectly clear, this issue of check decline was NEVER from my bank. It was strictly a SS move.

I think I would also send a report to the BBB.

Jimmy

While the bbb will do you some good in terms of venting, they're nothing more than a "buy a rating" situation anymore. Take a look at most roofing companies on bbb. Usually they've got a 30% (or higher) terrible rating, yet will still have top bbb ratings. You can buy the rating you want there.

06 M450LXi 3 slide