You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Hybrid over heating issue

Update: After the coach had been in the garge at home for a couple of days I went out to check underneath for "puddles". To my horror I saw some. Along with a brace hanging down off of what I believe is the transmission fill tube. I called SS and he said he would send a tech out to RV park in Anthony since we would be here anyway on Monday. I had to just barely skinny under coach to zip tie the brace up from hanging down. Couldn't get to puddles. When we pulled coach out of garage I checked puddles. They seem to be ATF. Coolant level was below sight glass on radiator. When we arrived in Anthony the back of the coach and the passenger side of the toad had an oil spray on them. I would guess maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a qt. This is unacceptable. Started calling SS at 7:30am . Finally got the manager at 11:30am (he had been at the Dentist) to tell him I can take coach in to shop if he wanted. He said he will still be sending tech out here after lunch. I did send a 5 page letter to SS CEO certified mail on Friday but have not heard back on that yet. Also, oil level is a tad above full mark on dipstick. Hopefully it is just blowing some excess oil out of valve cover vents & will quit leaking when level drops to "sweet spot".

Update: Hopefully the final one! The tech came to our RV park this morning. He bolted on the loose brace. He asked if we could take the coach to the shop to have leaking transmission cooler lines fixed as he did not want to make a mess in the park. We drove to SS in El Paso this afternoon. The hoses were bad so they had a mobile hose service come to their shop and make up replacement hoses. They found a bad fitting on the power steering pump and replaced it. The manager Pablo Fierros asked what it would take for me to be a satisfied customer again. I told him and he said "done". We shook on the agreement. These repairs were covered as warranty service on the engine rebuild. If they continue to honor the terms of our agreement I will once again be a satisfied Stewart and Stevenson customer although I am still disappointed in the original time issue. I was treated in the manner that I am accustomed to from Newell and Stewart and Stevenson today. Thanks to all who encouraged me to send the 5 page letter to the CEO. I'm not sure if that is what made a difference, but today was definitely a pleasant experience.

Good to hear that customer service is beginning to return to Stewart and Stevenson.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Glad to hear you have it all worked out Clint. Best of luck on alot of trouble free miles

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I was hoping to not have to post anymore here! Tonite while I was oiling batteries, I heard a "bubbling" noise. It's very quiet in our garage. When the 110v compressor kicks in at 70 psi up to cut off at 90 psi there is a definite whine noise. The bubbling sounds like it is bubbling air into the coolant system. The whine kind of sounds like it may be coming from the engine compressor. I may try to borrow one of Fran's stethoscopes tomorrow to try and track it down for sure. Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Clint there has to be some sort of check valve in the compressor or you couldn't hold air pressure, when I had a problem with bubbling coolant I remember reading about a fault in the air compressor that would allow it to happen, but I did not do further research on how to fix it since that wasn't my issur

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I could not find a stethoscope. Today SS sent a tech to our house to check out the bubbling noise! Turns out it was coming from the transmission. The air shift module was bleeding air into the transmission causing bubbling in the ATF. They are going to be back tomorrow to put on a new module. They have really been treating me well since I took your guys advice on sending a letter.

Glad it was nothing more serious.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Tech replaced the shift module today. My Gast compressor was running for about 1 1/2 min every 13 minutes before. It has been an hour and a half since we ran 8V92 to make sure new module was shifting & not leaking. Supply air is still over 100psi. Yippie!!!!

Great news Clint!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com