You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Temps

Yesterday as always driving down the road my gen temp went as high as 260 before the panel indicated ''Hi"... My gen temps are all over the place for years and spoke with several pros who agree that it's not a problem. I usually run 176 on average and whenever motionless, but rolling sure does create extra heat and I range from 170 up to 225 and sometimes like yesterday all the way up to 260 and with no coolant loss. Whenever I stop for a break the gen temps always fall. Just had it serviced and all good.

Now the reason for the post..

What temps do you run on the gen set in all types of use and weather ??

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I have the little 12.5kw Kohler but my temps run about 180 all the time unless it is above 100 outside and all four airs running at the same time, then the temp will climb to about 190.

With temps going to 260, I would be testing/changing the sensor on the generator first.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Larry, I have noticed that if I'm driving west and there is a strong south wind my gen. will run hotter. Once I turn with the wind hitting different on the air intake for the gen. it runs cooler. I think it has a lot to do as to how much air the squirrel cage can pull in. Just my thought and observation. However I have not ever got over 200.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

i would be really surprised if the real temp was 260. there is a high temp shutoff sensor if i recall on the genny that would shut it down. not sure what temp.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I usually run 180 but will go up to 200 if ambient temp gets over 95. Crossing Kansas after the rally when ambient temp got to 100 the generator got over 220 with all 4 a/cs running. I shut off the back 2 and temps came back to 200 quickly.
Do you have an overflow tank on your generator? I added one I got from an auto parts place. Makes it nice to quickly check the coolant level.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Larry,

As I read your comments, I agree with Chappell. I think once the sensor is eliminated, it is air flow.

My memory is air comes into the fan, then into the generator compartment, forward through the radiator and out the bottom of the radiator shroud.

With your problem being while moving, low air pressure area near the fan intake or high pressure area at the shroud outlet fighting the exhaust of air from the radiator would possibly create your symptom. Chappell seems to have a small impact on his coach from moving through the air.

Since I am no expert, you would want more learned folks to chime in.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Ok... I'll throw in a stupid question.... Is it possible that when you are traveling down the road, that leakage on the genny door seals would disrupt or negate the blower air flow.. or perhaps pressure from under the coach negates the blower pressure to some extent reducing airflow thru the radiator? In air cooled aircraft engines we are looking for a negative air pressure downstream in order to receive max airflow .. you can use two gauges to measure the differental pressure...

Jimmy

I find that Chappell's post is true and would agree with Tom that the temp gauge is probably off too, but Newell just serviced and checked and changed all on it and yes I have an expansion tank and "no " coolant loss.
I also think Jimmy makes a good point about "negative air pressure" and thinking I have many things here going on, but Newell says normal and so does DD, but not having any shut down or boil over issues confirms. Let's hope I am not sorry I said that.

Yes , We have been driving "west" and with a strong South wind.. Thanks Chappell. BTW, how is your electrical issue ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Mine goes to 220 while traveling check the radiator temp with gage was at 180. Talked to Mike at Newell said change the sensor

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

Around 180-190 on ours. 12.5K with Yanmar engine.